Network Engineer I
Posted on Jul 13, 2021 by Acima Technical Services, Inc.
DESCRIPTION: Implement, test, secure and operate the mission network at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility (WFF). Network engineers working at Wallops must have advanced knowledge of Cisco Routers, switching, and security. Successful candidates will provide advanced network design, implementation support, and troubleshooting services. The Network Engineers will work closely with a Network Asset Planner and an IT Security Lead on day-to-day tasking and priorities related to engineering and sustaining engineering projects.
LOCATION: Wallops Island, Virginia. Acima is proud support space business and to be part of the growth at NASA Wallops. As a primary NASA test facility Wallops is an exciting place to work with frequent launches of civil, military, and commercial boosters and sounding rockets into space. WFF, NASA's first launch facility, is known for its collegial working environment and a commitment to excellence that have contributed to over 60 years of success. The facility is located on Wallops Island, VA on the Delmarva Peninsula. Explore Wallops and come join Acima to participate in the future of space research.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Network engineer at WFF performs the following functions:
- Support activities associated with the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of IT systems; may include networks and telecommunications, LAN/WAN administration, performs website development and maintenance, cybersecurity, intra-computer communications, network design and support, network and system management/administration;
- Evaluates and designs systems to structure and access databases; cybersecurity programs across platforms
- Conducts routine cybersecurity activities;
- Provides inventory and control for all media forms of data and ensures all requirements are satisfied for data storage, usage, and accountability;
- Performs a variety of activities associated with the applications software, database management, system testing and development activities of an operational system;
- Performs software installation at all promotion levels, system configuration management, database maintenance and control, assistance in the development phase of projects, interacting with customers, procedures and standards development, formal documentation development and participation in system acceptance test activities;
- Analyses of systems performance; researches documents, tracks trends, and resolves issues; test/evaluate system's performance against specifications.
- Support engineering and sustaining engineering projects as the network engineering and IT Security representative.
- Support network related projects and launch missions.
- Configure and install various network devices and services (Switches, Firewalls, VPN, QoS).
- Perform network maintenance and system upgrades including service packs, patches, hot fixes.
- Select and implement security tools and procedures as outlined in the system security plans.
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel to troubleshoot and problem resolution.
- Work closely with Operations staff to implement technical solutions.
- Extensive background with Cisco network switching and routing devices and protocols.
- Fluency with TCP/UDP protocol layers.
Other Preferred Capabilities:
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision and on a team environment.
- Ability to work on assignments that maybe complex in nature and where considerable judgment and initiative are required in implementation and problem resolution.
- Professional certification such as Cisco CCNA & CCNP or CCDP
- Solarwinds experience.
- System engineering experience.
- Experience with the requirements of FISMA.
- Project coordination & management experience is a plus.
- Comfortable working with complex network concepts and implementations.
- Passion for networking, troubleshooting and optimization.
- Ability to provide technical direction in a timely fashion, utilizing standard methodologies.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written).
EDUCATION: BS/BA degree in a technical discipline desired, +2 years of experience. Associate Degree in technical discipline +4 years of experience. Equivalent certification and/or work experience will be considered.
TRAVEL: Some travel to domestic and international locations might be required to support the range and launch activities.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: required.
Full Time position with Benefits: Health/Dental/Vision insurance, Life, LTD/STD, 401K matching, Vacation, Holidays
Acima is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.