Posted on Jul 10, 2021 by I.T. Alliance N.I. Ltd
6 Month Fixed Term Contract, extension probable
State owned Transport Management organisation urgently requires a Data Scientist to support development of their Real Time operational capabilities.
With levels of travel due to increase as Covid 19 restrictions are eased, the company has a specific requirement to track to the flow and movement of passengers with a view to reducing bottlenecks and preventing unnecessary delays.
You will work with a suite of forecasting models used to predict passenger volumes. We have developed sophisticated algorithms that involve learning from large amounts of data, such as schedules, aircraft types, flight capacities, boarding scans, check-in times, etc. These forecasts are used to automatically produce load factors, presentation profiles which are used to predict daily passenger volumes. The work is complex and important. With better forecasts, the client is able to manage and optimise staff resources which helps to make the airport more efficient and provide a better experience to passengers.
The purpose of this role is to develop and maintain new and existing forecasting models for passenger forecasting for Security Operations. The data scientist will improve upon existing passenger forecasting models by developing new data sources, testing model enhancements, monitoring model performance, running computational experiments, re-training models and fine-tuning model parameters for new and existing forecasting models.
- Delivery of new passenger forecasting models for:
- 30-60 Day forecasts
- 14 Day forecasts
- Day -5 to Day 0 - risk indicators/confidence levels in forecasts - to inform operations of potential risk prior to or on the day of operation
- Monitoring performance and developing enhancements of existing forecasting models.
- Develop and maintain new and existing forecasting models for passenger forecasting for Security Operations.
- Use data cleansing, statistics, machine learning and other advanced data analysis techniques to collect, explore, and extract insights from a wide variety of datasets like booking data, flight schedules, boarding scans, etc.
- Work on all aspects of the design, development and delivery of forecasting models.
- Apply advanced analytics techniques such as predictive modelling, customer segmentations, optimisation and what-if scenario analysis.
- Work closely with the data engineering platforms team to make sure best practice engineering standards are applied to all advanced analytics solutions.
Essential Knowledge & Skills
- Have at least 3+ years' experience in an analytics role, preferably dealing with large volumes of diverse data eg consumer, transactional or operational data.
- Previous forecasting experience using R and Python for analysing data and building statistical and machine learning models and algorithms.
- Experience building and deploying predictive forecasting models and segmentations.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (Random forest, Decision trees, Time series forecasting, Classification, Regression, Clustering etc.).
- Experience using SQL for data extraction and feature development. If data not available, ability to work with data engineers to produce the required data.
- Strong quantitative, analytical and problem-solving skills. Attention to detail and accuracy are key.
- Ability to work closely with business units to translate passenger forecasting business questions and concerns into specific analytical questions that can be answered with available data using statistical and machine learning methods.
- Experience delivering analytical deep dives on key topics for the business.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong business acumen and business engagement skills with the ability to communicate and explain complex technical concepts and quantitative methods to a wide, non-technical audience.
- Possess excellent creative thinking skills with emphasis on developing innovative solutions to solve complex problems ensuring analytics is delivered and communicated in a way that is user friendly and easy to interpret for the business.
Hold a relevant primary degree (preferably post-graduate qualification) in a relevant field of study - mathematics, computer science, statistics, operations research, etc.
- Previous forecasting experience in aviation, transport or similar sectors is an advantage.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£54.2k - £63.3k Annual
£42.7k - £59.7k Annual
£51.2k - £64k Annual
£60k - £60k Annual