Network Operator (Full-Time)
Posted on Jul 9, 2021 by West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing (WVNET)
Network Operator (Full-Time)
West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing (WVNET) connects K-12 schools, higher educational institutions, libraries, state and county government, and various not-for-profits to the Internet and the rest of the world through our state-of-the-art network and telecommunications expertise.
Our team of dedicated IT professionals provide guidance and training to educators and staff in higher education and K-12 schools. Our research and development of software, tools, and systems address problems and tackle challenges that are unique to West Virginia's public institutions and not-for-profits.
Work Location: Morgantown, WV, 26505 (Required)
Classification: Salary, Classified, Full-Time Benefits, FLSA Non-Exempt
Salary: Starting salary is $32,160 per year. Additionally, WVNET offers an excellent state government benefits package, including comprehensive health insurance coverage, retirement investing, and life insurance plans as well as generous amounts of vacation, sick, and holiday leave.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- Associate degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field.
- Two years of related helpdesk/network operations experience, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience is required
- *DETAILS OF RELEVANT EXPERIENCE MUST BE SHOWN IN THE WORK EXPERIENCE SECTION OF YOUR RESUME*
WVNET is seeking to hire a Network Operator to provide basic (Tier I) assistance and consulting to customers, and participate in the operation of WVNET systems. Network Operators are categorized as essential personnel as defined by WVNET policy, and incumbent is required to work during declared emergencies.
This position provides customer support, system monitoring, and problem escalation to advanced (Tier II) support on a 24-hour non-standard work hours basis. The position is required to work a 12.5 hour rotating shift to accommodate 24/7 services.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Monitor WVNETs internal electronic ticketing system, email, and primary phone extension for any correspondence from our customers that are experiencing an issue or have general question.
- Provide basic (Tier I) level contact and support for all customer generated tickets. Escalate unresolved issues to Tier II support as required.
- Provide primary (Tier I) support for the Blackboard Learning Management System used by multiple institutions throughout the state. Assist students and instructors with issues related to login, navigation, and general coursework questions. Escalates unresolved issues to Tier II support as required.
- Provide basic (Tier 1) support to WVNET email customers with accounts and client configuration. Utilize a custom application to perform account deactivation/reactivation. Assist other customers with password resets utilizing an Office 365 environment.
- Set up and troubleshooting of video conferences for WV legal court systems and jails using Cisco's TelePresence Management Suite.
- Develop and update documentation to provide a rich knowledge base for all network operations staff.
- Ensure building security and fire safety outside normal business hours through video monitoring and occasional building patrols.
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities (KSAs)
- Excellent customer service and phone skills.
- Ability to read and comprehend technical reference manuals.
- Ability to adapt to current technology platforms and services.
- Familiarity with modern operating systems and services.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Veterans/Disabled
The West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing (WVNET) is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. WVNET provides a collegial, respectful and inclusive environment that values the diversity, creativity and contributions of its staff.