Senior Mechanical Engineer
Posted on Jun 26, 2021 by Babcock
Job Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Business Unit: Cavendish Nuclear
The Senior Engineer manages the delivery of engineering and technical activities, through the application of process, domain knowledge and experience.
At this level; an experienced engineer, high level of developed knowledge in pressure equipment and mechanical engineering, resolves specific technical issues and problems, complies technical reports and accompanying presentations, provides, reviews and adheres to specifications in accordance with stakeholder requirements. Coaches, mentors and assists others on matters pertaining to mechanical engineering, developing business awareness, builds strong working relationships with stakeholders, works independently with limited technical direction or as part of a small team.
This is the level for an experienced engineer working with a high level of developed knowledge in pressure equipment and mechanical engineering; the role is directly accountable for designs, developments and determines solutions to problems and issues within pressure equipment and mechanical engineering.
Able to work on a range of engineering problems involving high levels of complexity & uncertainty. Provides help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective working, and their development.
The role must be fully aware of, and adhere to, Health & Safety standards and be fully familiar with all authorised documentation, Good Practice Guides and ISO standards.
• Promote effective co-operation across Engineering and other functional teams
• Assist in effective management of the customer, including liaison and relationship development with existing and new customers, to aid the development of business, resolution of technical and delivery issues, and such that the customer is fully briefed and informed of progress
• Ensure procedures, codes and standards are correctly identified and applied to engineering and technical activities
• Contribute to Project Safety Assessment process
• Ensure task and project risks are communicated and managed appropriately
• Produce, review and approve calculations, analyses, drawings, models, design basis documentation and technical reports as assigned
• Assessing the implications of changes, concessions and queries
• Maintain the engineering configuration, ensuring the overall design intent and integrity is maintained throughout design lifecycle
• Evaluate technical issues in order to develop proposals for investigations and /or solutions, including process improvements
• Provide support to the Project Manager for planning, control and delivery of tasks and projects
• Make engineering decisions within own sphere of responsibility and delegate authority
• Act as Technical Authority or Engineering Lead when authorised to do so
• Ensure application of highest standards for health and safety in immediate area of responsibility and ensure all team members across engineering co-operate with respect to company standards about matters on health, safety and environment, ethics and behaviours
• Keep up to date in relevant technical areas and develop skills and capabilities to be able to provide effective delivery. Maintain knowledge of Industry best practice, promote a culture of engineering best practice, support in driving cultural development and change
• Contribute to learning from experience (LfE) requirement, during and post project
• Support business development opportunities
• Exercise care for own health and safety and that of others as defined by Health and Safety legislation, adhere to endorsed Company policy, procedures and delegations (e.g. Health & Safety, Diversity & Inclusion, Performance & Development Reviews and Finance etc.) Ensure application of highest standards for health and safety in immediate area of responsibility and ensure individual co-operation with respect to company standards about matters on health, safety and environment, ethics and behaviours
• Support the business winning process through input into or review of tender requirements, including estimates
• Engineering degree (or equivalent qualification) in relevant engineering discipline, with significant demonstrable experience
• Chartered/Incorporated Engineer status (or actively working towards Chartered/Incorporated status)
• Capable of using technical and engineering expertise to specify/design pressure equipment (pressure vessels/piping) for use in industrial applications
• Able to select materials for the intended application
• Able to produce commissioning and testing programmes
• Familiar with production and review of P&IDs, system diagrams, isometric drawings, detail and assembly drawings
• Demonstrable experience in the application of industry standard design codes and regulations such as BS EN 13480 and 13445, ASME B31, PD 5500, ASME VIII, PED and PER
• Experience in working collaboratively in multi-discipline teams to deliver activities on a range of project types
• Demonstrable experience in covering a variety of tasks across a range of complexities
• Good communications skills and the ability to interface with other disciplines
• Member of relevant institute or significant demonstrable engineering experience and capable of registration with the Engineering Council
• Experience in managing engineering scope for Projects from concept design to full Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
• Breadth and depth of experience in a range of commercial or defence projects
What else do I need to know?
• All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory security clearance which includes 3 years reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences must be shown at interview stage.
• We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview
If you are currently employed by Babcock/Cavendish Nuclear please let your line manager know that you're applying for this vacancy. You should also let them know if you are attending an interview or assessment for a role.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£45k - £55k Annual
£35k - £35k Annual
£45k - £55k Annual
£45k - £55k Annual
£45k - £50k Annual
£40k - £45k Annual
£45k - £55k Annual