Graduate Environmental Consultant (6 month contract)
Posted on Jun 22, 2021 by Adler & Allan
About the Company:
The Adler and Allan Group provides market leading environmental risk reduction through preventative and responsive solutions offering an expert 24-7 service to our customers. We give our customers peace of mind in detecting and identifying the environmental risks posed to their business. Our broad range of risk mitigation products and services keep businesses strong, reducing the prospect of litigation, costly fines, and bad publicity, as well as reducing the threat to the environment. In a world where the environment and legislation are in constant flux, we also provide emergency response in a variety of settings. Our customers include multinational blue-chip organisations across a wide range of sectors both private and public.
We are an ambitious team who are focused on growth, putting out customers at the heart of what we do, and we live our values of Safety, Service, Working Together, Wellbeing and Expertise. Our culture is can-do, fun and where everyone has a part to play. If you want to help businesses and protect the environment, this role could be for you. In return you will be rewarded with a great package, fantastic culture, challenging role and an opportunity for development and progression.
The postholder will be working on a large remediation project 30 minutes north-west of Swansea. Large scale remediation works were undertaken in 2020 / 2021 at the site, which removed heavily impacted soils at the point of loss, however the possible long-term impact to the underlying groundwater and the nearby surface waters in the Lougher Estuary require further monitoring. The site has entered a phase of Monitored Natural Attenuation (MNA). This phase seeks to collect robust ground and surface water data which is reported monthly to regulators in order to allow the assessment of any ongoing impact to the wider environment.
This is a full time post (35 hours per week, Monday - Friday) however the postholder will be expected to dedicate any hours required to ensure tasks are completed and in addition, there may be a requirement to work at other sites and stay away from home overnight.
Key tasks and accountabilities associated with the role are as follows:
- Undertaking field monitoring works including measurement and sampling.
- Supporting senior colleagues in all aspects of Environmental Claims Management.
- Provision of accurate and timely information to line management.
- Supporting team performance by sharing knowledge and best practices at all levels.
- Prepare samples for appropriate laboratory analysis and liaise with the laboratory.
- The post holder will be expected to demonstrate a commitment to ensuring consistently high levels of safety, technical robustness and organisation.
- Any other task assigned by supervision for which the post holder is qualified and experienced to undertake.
Graduate Environmental Consultant requirements:
- A degree in a relevant earth sciences, or geo-environmental discipline
- Experience of environmental assessment or monitoring and in the collection of field data would be an advantage but is not essential as all training will be provided
- Post holder will attend domestic and commercial properties to assist members of the public and as such, must provide a professional service and image of the Company at all times
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with colleagues, workforce and clients at all levels
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- Be computer literate and proficient in the use of Microsoft applications.
- The post holder is required to be self-motivated, adaptable and demonstrate excellent communication, organisational skills and attention to detail
- The post holder should have excellent interpersonal skills and confidence when dealing with all stakeholders including colleagues, site staff, contractors and householders in person and over the telephone/email, and a highly professional manner
- Field sampling may involve working in all weather conditions and can be physically demanding, therefore the post holder should have a passion for working outside.
- The postholder will be required to travel to any location within the Company's operational footprint; therefore, possession of a full, clean UK driving licence is essential for this role
- Proof of the right to work in the UK will be required, and the postholder will be required to undertake a DBS check to satisfy client requirements.
Full training and a vehicle will be provided for duration of this fixed-term contract, expected to be in the region of 6 months. Successful candidates who meet the expectations of the 6-month role, will be considered for full time employment beyond that term, subject to performance and aptitude. The full-time role would expose the individual to a host of other opportunities and work in other locations. This represents a fantastic opportunity for those looking to take their first steps in a career within environmental consultancy.
- Pension scheme
- Company vehicle suitable for role
- Regular opportunities for training and development
- 25 days holiday (pro-rata for duration of contract) + bank holidays
- All uniform/ work wear provided.