Senior Mathematical Modeller
Posted on Jun 14, 2021 by VesselsValue
VesselsValue is a rapidly growing, dynamic, ambitious, and innovative tech company operating in the Shipping, Aviation, Trade, Offshore, and Superyacht sectors. We supply automated daily information on asset values, asset earnings, and trade flows for the maritime industries. We have over 2,000 clients worldwide, including leading banks, funds, and shipowners. We employ over 160 people across our seven offices in London, Singapore, Seoul, Shanghai, Manila, the Isle of Wight, and Stoke, and we are expanding rapidly. We offer a supportive, trusting, and transparent environment, with considerable freedom of operation in a young and growing global company.
Overview of role
We seek a creative and experienced mathematician, with a strong professional and academic background to strengthen our expanding Modelling team. The ideal candidate will be able to solve problems creatively, apply advanced quantitative techniques in novel situations, understand complex systems, take on strategical responsibilities, collaborate with and supervise staff, and communicate effectively to people with and without quantitative expertise.
The role will involve maintaining and extending mathematical models and creating new ones. Typically, we prototype models in Excel, working closely with subject specialists to capture concepts, ensure commercial realism, and test accuracy. You would provide model specifications to our software developers and play an active role in the implementation of these models in our codebase. At present, we determine relationships between variables using variable selection, function fitting, regression analysis and other optimisation techniques, and the application of heuristics and constraints to model less quantitative phenomena. It is vital that model outputs are consistent with economic principles and reality. Although VesselsValue focuses on maritime and more recently aviation assets, this space will grow as the business develops.
The ability to use and convey mathematical and statistical ideas effectively is critical to the role. An interest in the graphical and interactive display of quantitative concepts using charts, graphs, and other devices, both remotely and face-to-face, would be beneficial, as would a genuine love for the intellectual challenges of modelling. Research skills, including reviewing subject literature, technical and discursive writing, and the application of analytical tools would be important.
As a Senior Modeller you would report to a director and work alongside other senior staff. You would be expected, over time, to take on responsibility for entire models. This would mean a concern for the internal consistency of their components, the balance between simplicity and accuracy, and their strategic and commercial development. You would maintain and extend the formal description of the models, along with libraries of functions and sub-models. You would oversee the work of more junior staff and manage the development of projects.
This role offers an exceptionally wide latitude of operation, with considerable scope for creativity and innovation. Although we have tried here to identify the key elements of the position, we recognise that the best candidates would make the role their own.
- Develop, prototype, and specify automated mathematical models for application in shipping, aviation, and other fields.
- Apply advanced mathematical techniques and conduct statistical analysis on data.
- Oversee the development and formal documentation of models and associated tools.
- Communicate mathematical concepts and methodology both internally and externally.
- Manage projects and staff.
- Collaborate with modellers, directors, subject experts, software developers, analysts, data researchers, and other company staff.
Qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills required
- A minimum of 5 years professional modelling experience.
- Ideally a Masters or Doctorate in mathematics or statistics from a top tier University.
- Experience of statistical techniques such as regression analysis.
- Creative imagination and ability to communicate complex concepts.
- Previous experience of managing projects and supervising staff essential.
- Strong technical skills
- We will consider candidates from all work backgrounds. Our ideal candidate may currently be mathematical modelling in one of the following fields: academia, video game design, animation, film and video, betting/gambling, AI, public health, oil and energy, trading, econometrics, astrophysics, aerospace, zoology, logistics, engineering, medicine, investments, insurance, humanities, architecture, telecommunications, technology, manufacturing ...
Salary and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package depending on experience and qualifications.
We are looking for someone who lives within an hour's drive of our Stoke off