Posted on Jun 11, 2021 by CV-Library
What’s it all about?
The Senior Developer is a hands-on technology leadership role operating within the Solution Delivery team. This individual will not only be expected to write code but also act in a senior capacity by helping the lead developer to lead talented software engineers, conducting code reviews and taking part in design sessions. Whilst the architecture team will own and be responsible for the overall architecture solutions, the Senior Developer will be expected to influence and shape all relevant architectural decisions.
The platform is constantly evolving so you will need to look to the future and innovate. By keeping abreast of current trends and best practices you will be able to recommend new tooling, techniques and approaches. Therefore, this individual will need to possess a passion for continuous improvement.
We are seeking someone who has a strong background in both platform and product development, specifically within payments or the financial services industry. You will care passionately about design, particularly clean, maintainable code as well as the need to ensure our releases operate reliably in production utilising thorough monitoring and alerting.
About the Team
The Solution Delivery team within the overall Technology function is responsible for the full software delivery lifecycle of the core payments platform. This includes technical analysis, software development, testing and release management.
This is the largest team within technology and is comprised of multiple teams working both onshore and offshore across several time zones. All teams utilise agile delivery methods conforming to the scaled agile framework (SAFe).
The outputs and deliverables from this team are mission critical to the successful execution of the corporate strategy. As such, this team demands high standards with regards to software quality, reliability, scalability and cyber security.
Skills & Experience
The areas flagged below are the essential needs associated with the role but do not reflect an exhaustive listing of the required skills and experience to fulfil it. Any additional elements that will further enhance the ability to execute the role are most beneficial.
This is not a managerial role.
What we expect of you, day to day.
* Manages and maintains core components of the overall payments processing platform with deep knowledge and understanding of its construct and function.
* Sets the direction and technology change for their components of the processing platform to meet Product Roadmaps and strategic direction of the business as well as technology choices.
* Maintains an up-to-date perspective on technology options and industry best practice with application to their ongoing code delivery and share of this across the development teams.
* Review and assessment of written code across the team for clean, well-structured code with appropriate tests and documentation that meets the agreed requirements, setting the example to the rest of the team and ensuring these standards are maintained.
* Specifies areas of the platform where code refactoring is required due to old code or techniques being superseded and where appropriate to ensure consistent error free code.
* Reviews and promotes the introduction of appropriate tools and processes to support development activities.
* Ensures all relevant activities are completed as part of software development (e.g. Attends Stand Up meetings, timely updates to tasks, user stories, etc.).
* Considers and supports the responsibilities of Technical Project Managers throughout the SDLC.
* Freely shares knowledge with other members of the team and the company.
* Contributes regularly and positively to discussions regarding internal process and system improvements in order to ensure maximum efficiency across the company. Including suggesting technical solutions to problems.
* Responds promptly and professionally to requests for support.
* Supports incident management to fix Production issues when they occur and the restoration of service as rapidly as possible.
* Work closely with Business Analysts, Technical Architects and other Developers to achieve a high-quality coded output.
* Maintain delivery across multiple projects simultaneously with consistently high standards applied to all outcomes.
* Acts as a technical lead who coaches and supports software developers to ongoing change delivery and broader department initiatives, business and corporate initiatives.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to coach, mentor and support other members of the engineering team, sharing technical and operational knowledge in a helpful and timely fashion.
* Security is a prime responsibility at Visa with exposure and experience required to deal with industry best practices for preventing security vulnerabilities within delivered data related solutions.
* Self-starter and self-motivated, with the ability to challenge and question the status quo in an appropriate manner while addressing the broad needs of the organisation and more locally with the delivery team.
* Attention to detail in all areas of work: design, documentation, coding, testing, and following agreed processes.
* Effective prioritisation and multi-tasking - able to prioritise quickly and effectively. Maintains a can-do attitude.
* Open to feedback, able to deal with ambiguity and work on multiple concurrent activities.
* Calm under pressure and naturally curious to solve problems, explore new techniques and technologies.
* Able to work with and manage delivery teams that are geographically dispersed and across time zones.
* An accomplished developer with who has worked in a team of 30 or more on large codebases
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£70k - £80k Annual
£27.1k - £38.4k Annual
£50k - £65k Annual
£70k - £85k Annual