Technical Consultant SC
Posted on Jun 8, 2021 by Actica Consulting
Technical Consultant SC
Salary: £34,000 - £60,000 + Biannual Bonus
Holiday: 25 days + Public Holidays
Location: Guildford base office, UK client sites, remote working possible (Likely during lockdown)
As a Technical Consultant at Actica, you will have the opportunity to provide support to a wide range of high-profile UK public sector and defence organisations. Your help will enable them to get the maximum benefit from their technology investments, and in doing so play a key role in nationally critical projects which make a real difference to people's everyday lives.
This is an ideal opportunity for you to progress from a post graduate technology role (or similar) into a client facing technical consultant position at Actica. With the support of Actica colleagues, you may find yourself providing high-value strategy, business analysis and technology procurement consultancy to ensure any solution aligns with business objectives. You will also provide authoritative advice on likely future technology developments and routes to exploit these.
Your level of experience will determine the amount of responsibility given to you, as a result the role may require you to lead assignments and be responsible for supervising direct reports whilst ensuring the overall success of the engagement.
You will be involved in the production of high quality, formal deliverables and will review formal deliverables developed by others. Our position as a client-side advisor means that your role will involve significant stakeholder engagement, dealing directly with the client, including in resolving day-day issues involved in assignment delivery and developing follow-on opportunities, so excellent interpersonal and influencing skills are essential.
You will typically work on client sites, co-located with other project members, including client staff, Actica colleagues and other suppliers. Due to the nature of client side working, regular travel within the UK should be expected. The base office is in Guildford, but it is likely that you will spend the majority of your time working with clients at their sites.
You will be given the opportunity to further your career in consulting, specialising in the application of a broad range of methodologies and technical specialisations to a wide range of business problems. You will have the opportunity to gain experience in the application of the following methods and standards in use within our customer base:
- Enterprise and Technical Architecture development and review using EA frameworks and methods;
- Business or systems analysis methods and tools, e.g. BPMN, UML;
- Software development methods and techniques e.g. Agile methods such as SCRUM;
- Information security policy standards e.g. ISO27001 / ISO27002, Cyber Essentials;
- Programme and Project Management methods e.g. MSP, PRINCE2, DSDM, Scaled Agile Framework;
- Public sector best practice guidance, e.g. ITIL, OGC toolkit;
- Standard methodologies for:
- Systems integration and testing;
- Requirements capture and analysis;
- Feasibility studies and business case development;
- Information systems security;
- Cost modelling and investment appraisal.
A career mentor will be on hand to provide support and guidance throughout your journey with Actica. You will also work with a performance and development manager who will conduct six monthly reviews to set career objectives and identify training courses which are both relevant to your current project work, and aligned with your planned career progression.
We provide substantial training, including online, classroom and in-house courses, leading to nationally recognised qualifications in areas such as Project Management, Agile methodologies, Business Analysis, IT Service Management, Enterprise Architecture, Cyber Security, and Technology Procurement. We provide structured career development pathways to help you gain responsibility and influence.
Working either individually or as part of a larger Actica team, you will undertake a number of consultancy assignments that could include:
- Developing strategies for future delivery of ICT services to meet the client's business needs and in accordance with the Government's ICT and other strategies;
- Defining end-to-end architectures including Business, Applications, Data and Infrastructure;
- Production of User and Service Requirements Documentation;
- Delivery of key Concept and Assessment Phase products;
- Supporting large ICT procurements, including developing procurement documentation, and evaluation strategies and evaluating bids;
- Providing technical assurance that proposed solutions are fit for purpose.
Overtime you may be given the opportunity to specialise and take on more responsibility in areas such as: Cyber Security, Enterprise Architecture, Technical Architecture, Service Management, and Business Change.
Qualifications and Experience:
We work predominantly within the UK Defence and Public Sectors, because of this experience within those sectors is desirable, preferably within the ICT context on enterprise solutions. The fast-moving nature of the ICT environment, together with the need to resource multiple, ad-hoc assignments, also requires our consultants to be quick thinkers, proactive and self-motivated - with the ability to apply a structured approach to often unfamiliar subject matter.
The following attributes and areas of experience will make you particularly suited to a Technical Consultant role with Actica:
- Client facing (external or internal);
- Prior work experience gained in a technical and / or consulting environment;
- The ability to present and justify conclusions to project teams and stakeholders;
- A willingness to take on new and unfamiliar subject matter;
- The ability to build and nurture durable working relations with stakeholders;
- Proven abilities in communicating and delivering to stakeholder expectations and requirements.
The nature of Actica's business means that a wide and varied background is preferable and the capability to adapt quickly to change is always required.
You may not feel that your skills precisely match the requirements of this job specification; however, we encourage you to apply if this is a role that appeals to you. We require individuals with a broad skillset, so there may be other aspects of your experience which are equally important to us, but that are perhaps not listed in the role specification above.
Actica aims to nurture a diverse workforce through inclusive working practices, promoting equality in our recruitment activities, and by employing candidates on the basis of merit. Discrimination against individuals on the grounds of protected characteristics is not permitted and we take steps to ensure that our staff are made aware of their legal responsibilities when making hiring decisions.
We are keen to improve diversity within our organisation and the industries in which we work, and hope to employ individuals who share that view.
Candidates must be eligible and willing to gain UK Security Clearance to apply for this position