IT Business Analyst- Data Projects (HR Data)
Posted on Jun 8, 2021 by ESG Consulting
Our client is seeking an IT Business Analyst- Data Projects (data detective) to work under general supervision, analyzes customer business needs and participates in the planning, design and implementation of new or enhanced systems.
*This role is till 12/31/2021 and expected to extend into 2022
*Candidates must reside in GA*
This position will focus heavily on reporting, data integrations, and other data-related projects. The Business Analyst will gather requirements both from stakeholders and from own analysis of existing reports to meet new needs and introduce improvements. They will identify data sources and criteria needed, document specs for developers, test the output, and ensure user acceptance. Extensive use of SQL is expected throughout this process. The Business Analyst will prioritize tasks and coordinate the work of the development team.
- Collect and prioritize requests for reports, integrations, and other data needs
- Work closely with stakeholders to understand the business process and turn vague one-liner requests into detailed, testable requirements that meet business needs
- Identify and document data sources, criteria, and data mapping
- Use SQL to explore, extract, and analyze data to support and test requirements
- Write report and data feed specifications for BI and ETL Developers
- Organize tasks for the development team and coordinate development, testing, and deploy
- Communicate prioritization and progress on requests to stakeholders
- Test reports and data feeds hands-on, as well as lead stakeholders through UAT
- Design reports/dashboard layouts to present data in a clean, consumable, and insightful format
- Audit existing reports and propose improvements for findability of data
- Assist customers with ad-hoc reporting needs
- The ideal candidate has proven working experience taking a vaguely stated business question and unpacking it into specific requirements, data sources, and criteria.
- The skill set is a cross between a business analyst working with the customer on requirements discovery and a "data detective" identifying and interpreting data using strong SQL and analysis skills. Analytical/conceptual/curious/problem-solving mindset is an absolute must.
- Experience writing SQL against complex tables containing historical/future data is a must. Working knowledge of HR data and processes is strongly preferred.
Education and Experience (required)
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Computer Science, or related field
- 6-8 years of business analysis experience, including:
- 4-5 years of experience performing data analysis
- 3-4 years of experience writing complex SQL queries
- Above average analytical and conceptual thinking; resourceful problem-solving
- Quick grasp of new information and ability to lead stakeholders to articulate core hidden needs
- Strong SQL skills; experience writing complex queries with multiple table joins, subqueries, and effective-dated data
- Experience communicating with all levels of the organization in a clear and concise manner using non-technical language
- Great organizational skills for own work and prioritization and coordination of team activities
- Excellent documentation skills; attention to detail
- Strong experience working with HR data and processes; process analysis skills
Additional Qualifications (preferred)
- Experience with PeopleSoft HCM data
- Eye for aesthetics and usability in report design
- Strong Excel skills (formulas, charts, pivot tables)
- Strong presentation skills
Health, Dental, Vision, 401K
ABOUT ESG CONSULTING:
ESG Consulting is an award-winning national provider of diversified information technology consulting services to Fortune 1000, public sector entities, and emerging growth firms nationwide.
Founded in 1986, ESG offers more than 32 years of experience in the IT staffing, Engineering and consulting industry. While local to Atlanta we are headquartered in Santa Clara.
ESG is an equal opportunity company. Our flexible management culture believes in creating a business environment that fosters personal and professional growth and achievement. We make ESG a place where people are treated not as employees but as "partners".