Posted on Jun 7, 2021 by Babcox Media
Babcox Media Inc. an Akron, Ohio-based B2B multimedia company with a concentration in the automotive aftermarket, powersports, performance, collision, commercial fleet, engine building and tire industries, is seeking a Full time Managing Editor.
Babcox Media owns and operates more than a dozen market-leading media brands including, but not limited to, Tire Review, BodyShop Business, Shop Owner, Fleet Equipment, and Motorcycle & Powersports News.
The Managing Editor position requires a combination of traditional print and digital journalism skills. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, all digital features of their respective brands, coordinating editorial, art, and production in order to meet standards and deadlines as well as the supervision of copy editing and proofreading functions to ensure that their respective media is factually and grammatically correct.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manages workflow and assignments of monthly brand publication and team, including month-to-month issue planning, ladder creation, and coordinating team to meet deadlines.
- Works with team designer to build content pages in print or online and make adjustments through the production cycle for content in print or online. This includes assisting graphic artists with concept and vision for cover features, and special projects.
- Works with editors and publisher to create and execute revenue-generating ideas for their respective publication and/or Babcox Media.
- Writes stories and commentary (editorials, blogs, etc.) as necessary for their respective properties.
- Work closely with Ad Services to get information about advertisers, special advertising positions, production schedules and production requirements for print or online.
- Seeks qualified contributing writers to provide relevant technical content.
- Develops annual brand content calendar, media kit, and promotions.
- Posts content on digital properties and social media on a daily basis.
- Manage and execute the creation and posting of news content for the e-newsletter, website and other digital properties.
- Provide expertise and guidance to grow and enhance the brand's social media presence.
- Podcast recording, podcast editing and posting podcasts to digital outlets.
- Writes scripts for videos, acts as talent in videos, posts completed videos to digital outlets.
- Hosts webinars
- Reviews Google Analytics for latest data on website traffic;
- Maintains and reviews tagging of content on brand website;
Essential Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or similar;
- 3-5 years of professional editorial and/or content service, including article writing (print and digital), news reporting, copyediting, design, layout and SEO;
- Current experience in and knowledge of all digital and social media, SEO, WordPress, and web content management systems;
- Knowledge and understanding of usability guidelines, as well as practical applications of SEO strategies as it relates to content;
- Knowledge and experience in digital analytics (Google) to monitor site traffic, and evaluate content effectiveness and manage respective publication social media channels;
- Demonstrated knowledge of AP Style;
- Positive track record as a strong team member with the ability to work independently;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a high level of professionalism;
- Strong communication (verbal and written) skills;
- Strong interviewing skills;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Ability to travel;
- Ability to meet stringent deadlines;
- Must be computer proficient: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Adobe Creative Suite (In Design, etc.) for Mac;
- Experience in video production; preferred
- Experience in the motorsports industry helpful, but not required;
- Automotive interest is highly recommended, but not required;
- Knowledge and experience in B2B helpful, but not required.
Babcox Media offers competitive salary and benefit packages as well as a creative work environment. Qualified candidates should apply directly to our Managing Editor job posting or you may send your resume and cover letter to (see below)
Please note: Babcox Media does not provide relocation assistance nor does the company sponsor international candidates.