Site Manager for Community Build Project
Posted on May 12, 2021 by Global Generation
Environmental Education charity Global Generation is building a new community garden and educational building in Canada Water to support our work with children and young people in Southwark. The project is innovative in a number of ways. The building is highly sustainable making use of reclaimed materials and it's re-purposing of an existing structure. Learning and engagement are embedded in the design and building process. The build will support a wide-ranging community program creating opportunities for local people.
We are looking for a site manager to manage the health and safety aspects of the build, to manage trade contractors and volunteers and to interface with the Global Generation's educational programs to teach young people leadership skills and engage them in sustainable construction.
The project provides the opportunity to be part of one of London's most unique and exciting regeneration projects, the Canada Water Masterplan and to take on a pivotal role in unlocking the social value inherent in a regeneration project of this scale.
As the site manager you will be responsible for the build process in the gardens with a primary responsibility to manage the new Paper Garden site during the construction phase and looking after Health and Safety. You will need to understand what is needed and assess whether to fix or build this independently or whether to co-design and co-build with groups of local participants. You will work closely with the Community & Youth and Garden teams to include elements of design and build across our projects. You will work alongside other members of the Global Generation team and partner organisations including British Land and their consultants to develop our community build offer.
Essential Skills and Experience
- An up to date CSCS Manager Card (Black Card) plus the Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) qualification.
- Prior experience of :
- managing a (small) building site
- preparing health and safety documentation
- inducting and managing subcontractors and operatives, inspections and generally keeping a construction site safe.
- Minimum 5 years of running build projects with some community experience
- Passionate about working with children, young people and volunteers and to help them learn new skills, gain in confidence and connect to the rest of the garden and nature
- A love of working outdoors, a passion for the natural environment
- Ready to take initiative, a flexible attitude and able to deal with change
- Great administration and organisational skills
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Outreach and setting up new relationships
- Project design and development
- Qualification in design, architecture or construction with practical experience
- Empathy with Global Generation's ethos and interest in values based learning
- Willingness to learn and contribute new and creative ways
For more information about the role and how to apply, click here