Posted on May 11, 2021 by Oh Deer Ltd
ABOUT THE ROLE
We're looking for someone to manage and lead our development team to ensure that our e-commerce platforms and technology meet the needs for our business and future growth.
You will work closely on developing our strategy and ensuring that expectations are met.
We have several websites at Ohh Deer including sites for Artful, Papergang, Ohh Deer, Barry's Cactus Club, Jewel + the Gang, Put a Sock in it as well as our direct to business side of the company.
We use Shopify Plus and experience with this platform would be desirable.
The role is also responsible for ensuring that our internal systems and technology are fit for purpose.
You should be very competent with web development and know how to get the best results within the shortest timeframes. As you will be responsible for leading and delivering our strategy for web development you need to be able to manage a team of developers and work closely with key stakeholders in and out of the business.
Communication skills are essential and ensuring that relevant teams are kept up to date with your development schedule.
You should be able to scope out a project from start to finish and identify potential pitfalls early on to eliminate the need of pushing deadlines.
You should be the leader of your craft and want to be a driving force in helping Ohh Deer become and remain the market leaders for all its brands.
Founded by Jamie Mitchell and Mark Callaby in 2011, Ohh Deer is an independent, fast-growing start-up company selling greeting cards, stationery and gifts.
Greeting Cards remain our main product but over the years we have diversified our offering and now make and sell other stationery and gift items.
We have become firmly established within our industry selling to retailers across the world, direct to customers online and via our subscription boxes: Papergang, Artful, Put a Sock in it, Jewel and the Gang and Barry's Cactus Club.
We're passionate about what we do and aim to be the leaders in our craft. We source the best artists, suppliers and staff to help us meet these expectations.
We continue to be ambitious and want to grow the business further which this role will play an important part in supporting.
Responsible for (subordinates):
Build and deliver a development strategy for the company ensuring that projects are fully scoped and meet expectations and deadlines. Lead the development and maintenance of the business' e-commerce platforms ensuring they are fit for purpose, user-friendly, technically robust, maximise sales opportunities and reflect the overall brand identity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and deliver a development strategy for the company that ensures our e-commerce platforms are fit for purpose and help generate the best return on investment.
- Scope out development projects from start to finish ensuring that deadlines and expectations are met.
- Lead the development and maintenance of the Company's websites and other online applications in accordance with business requirements and instructions, in order to ensure they are fit for purpose.
- Ensure that our backend development, creating and maintaining robust solutions and integrations, allow the company to work at peak efficiency.
- Lead and mentor the development team, ensuring that expectations and deadlines are met.
- Work with key stakeholders to develop and maintain user-friendly, efficient interfaces for the Company websites, electronic mailings and blogs and ensure they reflect brand guidelines and the ethos of the Company, and are accessible across all platforms.
- Manage payment systems in accordance with business requirements to ensure effective and user-friendly payment collection can be achieved at all times.
- Work with key stakeholders to ensure the effective implementation of the Company's SEO strategy using best practice approaches in order to promote sales.
- Provide insight and user guidance for new developments and software relevant to each department.
- Lead and drive system improvements, providing insight into better working practices and solutions, and providing costed project plans for implementation.
- Execute end to end testing /debugging of all builds for website/system development.
- Manage scoping of projects for third party development, providing concise direction, and useful insight towards prospective time and cost.
- To regularly review set KPI's, prepare regular activity reports and metrics and report directly to the Line Manager..
- To undertake ad hoc projects as required in order to meet the needs of the business.
- To contribute to process and systems development, through making suggestions and recommendations to the directors, in order to assist in the growth and success of the Company.
- To assist colleagues and to support the Company generally, through undertaking additional duties and tasks from time to time as and when required.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience with Shopify/Shopify Plus
- Good knowledge of HTML & CSS (SASS)
- Good knowledge of PHP (Ability to write bespoke scripts, OOP+)
- Experience with Laravel or similar framework
- Experience working with external APIs
- Good CLI (Command Line Interface) knowledge
- Version Control - Git (We use Beanstalk to deploy to Shopify and GitHub for custom projects)
- Must have worked with CMS platforms in the past
- Grasp of SEO best practices (Technical SEO desirable).
- Ability to time manage own projects and meet deadlines
- GCSE Maths and English or equivalent
- Knowledge and experience of using Microsoft Office or Google Workplace.
- Knowledge of the Windows Environment (Windows 7/8/10)
- Knowledge of the Mac Environment
- 2+ years industry experience (can be self-employed experience, if substantial client portfolio and/or examples provided)
- Experience using Theme Kit / Liquid (Shopify Template Language)
- Able to create websites from PSD's
- Experience with Recharge Payments (Shopify App)
- Experience working with XML / Json
- Webpack / Gulp / Tree-Shaking
- Experience working and interacting with API's (Node.js desirable)
- Experience with Bootstrap / Spectre frameworks
- SQL and writing custom queries
- Experience working with GitHub / Other Version Control Server.
- Experience managing and maintaining servers (NGINX, PHP-FPM + other technologies)
- Experience with Cloudflare
- Knowledge and experience of using Adobe Photoshop and InDesign
Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Analytical skills
- Management skills
- Negotiation skills
- Organisational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively independently and as a team player
- Willingness to work outside office hours as and when required
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work flexibly and to adapt to the needs of a small business
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a copy of your CV and Covering Letter to Click here to contact this recruiter .
Applications close on Sunday 30th May 2021. Please note: We may decide to interview before this date.
Please state your desired salary within your application.
We're based in Loughborough Town Centre, Leicestershire, UK. Sorry we're not open to remote working for this role but there might be flexibility available for part working from home.
The role is a full-time position, 37.5 hours per week.
OUR VALUES & ENVIRONMENTAL PLEDGE
Ohh Deer and all of our projects uphold the same values. We believe in inclusivity, acceptance, tolorances, equality and equity. We actively advocate the importance of nurturing positive mental health and have zero-tolerance on any form of discrimination.
We love to celebrate art and believe that we have an opportunity to showcase work on our products and platforms.
We believe that we are all responsible for our planet and we actively put the environment first. You can read more about our practices here:
We also collaborate with many charity partners including an on-going partnership with Tree Aid. We have also worked with The Butterfly Conservation, Switchboard LGBTQ+, M.E. Association, Blurt Foundation and Arthouse to name a few.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£34k - £40k Annual
£70k - £90k Annual
£50k - £65k Annual
£50k - £57k Annual
£50k - £60k Annual
£40k - £50k Annual
£60k - £75k Annual
£50k - £57k Annual
£65k - £80k Annual
£60k - £65k Annual