BI (Business Intelligence) Developer - Sustainability
Posted on May 1, 2021 by Lewis Davey
BI (Business Intelligence) Developer
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a BI Developer to join a purpose driven, employee-owned and award-winning business that has been an integral part of the sustainability and climate change landscape for three decades.
Working as part of the Products and Solutions team as a Business Intelligence Developer you will have the opportunity to deliver industry leading visualisation solutions to prestigious client base and help them on their journey to develop and achieve their environmental policies and strategies.
You'll be solving business needs using the latest techniques, methods and technology such as Power BI, Tableau and Qliksense as well as utilising our clients' own in-house solutions.
As a Business Intelligence Developer you will be in charge of developing, deploying, and maintaining BI interfaces. Those include query tools, data visualisation and interactive dashboards, ad hoc reporting, and data modelling tools. Developing BI interfaces requires deep experience in software engineering, databases, and data analysis in order to create and manage BI and analytics solutions that turn data into knowledge.
You will work with the business development teams to build sales collateral and assist in selling new business by showcasing our clients' visualisation expertise.
This is a great opportunity to;
- Solve problems for large, corporate clients in multiple sectors
- Work in cross-discipline, agile and distributed teams in the UK
- Develop leading visualisation solutions
- Share your passion and knowledge with other team members
- Mentor other team members
Applicants should have a solid background in data and business analysis as well as detailed knowledge of the visualisation tools Power BI & Tableau and a passion for Data and Insights. You'll possess good knowledge of BI concepts and some knowledge and experience of data warehousing and SQL are desirable.
You should be analytical and an excellent communicator and be able to demonstrate strong business acumen and problem-solving aptitude. To perform well you must maintain a strong technical understanding of Microsoft technology as well as skills in Power BI, Power Platform, and Microsoft Azure data warehousing technologies such as Azure Data Factory, Azure Datawarehouse, Azure Synapse, Azure SQL Database, Cosmos DB.
You will get the opportunity to demonstrate a broad range of skills across the Microsoft Azure stack, including building and delivering OLTP and data warehouse workloads across various cloud platforms including Azure. Using your knowledge of the Microsoft data platform, Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) paradigms, you will deliver exciting and ground breaking solutions to end-clients.
The projects are varied, sometimes you may be asked to help define a client's data visualisation transformation roadmap, other times you may be rolling your sleeves up and creating an innovative BI solution for a complex business problem or even assisting in responding to client bid responses.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Setting business requirements for BI tools and translating client and business needs into technical specifications
- Leading the design and build of BI solutions; BI development, deployment, and maintenance.
- Defining and documenting deployable business processes, prescribing best known methods for structured data reporting.
- Documenting contents in a data warehouse and meta-data storage and creating technical documentation for BI tools.
- Working with Service Managers and the Products and Solutions Team to deliver self-service Data Analytics and Visualisation processes which meet the requirements of the organisation at strategic and operational level.
- Working closely with the Software Director, contributing to the design and development of the data warehouses and ensuring that analytics and visualisation requirements are taken into consideration.
- Creating and ensuring adherence to self-service reporting based on the use of templates and processes to ensure clear, simplified, standardised and consistent presentation of dashboards.
- Acting as a consultant to the business on Business Intelligence, providing education and knowledge materials on data analytics and visualisation to other members of the team including written, video, and social learning.
- Reviewing new functionality from both current and new providers and feeding back to internal customers; participating in pilots that evaluate functionality against an agreed objective.
- Engaging in key external user forums and reporting on the improvement agenda and roadmap for Data Analytics and Visualisation tools.
- Engaging with employees to inspire them and encourage them to embrace the new systems and processes when implemented.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications
- Proven experience as a BI Developer or Data Scientist, industry experience is preferred
- Expert knowledge of data visualisation tools and BI technologies and willingness to learn new BI technologies as technology develops.
- In-depth understanding of database management systems, online analytical processing (OLAP) and ETL (Extract, transform, load) framework
- Knowledge of SQL queries, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field
Good knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 with regards to productivity including; Flow, SharePoint and PowerApps. Advanced Excel and some Access Database.
- An understanding of best practice data architecture.
- Good planning, organisation skills and the ability to work within guidelines and tight/fixed deadlines.
- A strong attention to detail. Constantly works to eliminating non-value adding activities.
- Good verbal, written and communication skills.
- Flexible, responsible, reliable and able to work without detailed supervision.
- Analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude. Proven abilities to take initiative and be innovative
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with colleagues and others across a wide range of disciplines and countries; working as part of a team to achieve common goals.
For more info contact Lewis Davey on or email