Posted on Apr 30, 2021 by CV-Library
Data Scientist (Operational Research)
When registering to this job board you will be redirected to the online application form. Please ensure that this is completed in full in order that your application can be reviewed.
Our Data Science and Operational Research team consists of five PhD-level Data Scientists, a Junior Data Scientist and a Senior Research Developer. As a team, we regularly collaborate with a number of universities on various R&D projects and MSc/PhD research studies, as well as work on a great variety of collaborative R&D projects with partners and customers globally in the area of Operational Research, Predictive modelling, Analytics, and Artificial Intelligence.
As part of the on-going expansion of our Data Science and Operational Research team, Microlise, a leading Transport Management Solutions Provider, are looking for a Data Scientist specialising in Operational Research to join us at our Head Office in Nottingham, to support the growth and exciting projects we are working on!
If you are a Data Scientist, experienced in and passionate about Operational Research, Optimisation, and Big Data Analytics, and you are looking for an opportunity where you will be supported with your continuous professional and personal development – then we want to hear from you!
Role & Responsibilities
* Applying operational research, combinatorial optimisation, heuristics, computational/artificial intelligence and big data analytics techniques
* Designing and implementing Local Search, Heuristics and Meta-heuristics algorithms
* Performing exploratory, experimental, analytical and visualisation works
* Complete the analysis, design and build of data models, analytical models and business and personal insights
* Preparing technical and scientific reports, presentations and patent applications
* Framing business problems into questions that can be answered through data analysis, and translating business needs into requirements that can be understood by technical teams
Knowledge & Experience Required
* PhD degree (or close to completion) in Operational Research, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or a related discipline
* One year experience in operational research, mathematical modelling, combinatorial optimisation or computational intelligence as a minimum
* Experience of designing and developing optimisation, local search, heuristics and meta-heuristics algorithms
* Proven knowledge of at least one programming language such as; C# or C++
* Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of operational research, analytics and mathematical modelling
* Strong reporting and communication skills whilst working on a number of tasks on a variety of different projects at the same time
* Ability to change direction quickly based on data analysis
* Naturally inquisitive and enjoy discovering then solving problems
* Build collaborative partnerships with data scientists, data architects, technical leads, product managers and key individuals within other functional organizations.
* Adaptable and flexible to respond to the changing needs of a dynamic business
* Embrace challenge and be passionate about solving hard problems
* Collaborate effectively in interdisciplinary teams
* 2 years of experience in operational research, mathematical modelling, combinatorial optimisation, computational intelligence, research computing or data science
* Experience in working on routing and scheduling algorithms
* Experience in working with analytical tools such as R
* Experience in working with large data sets (multi-gigabytes)
* Experience in working with data visualisation tools such as Tableau and Power BI
* Knowledge of vehicle telematics systems and transport logistics
We’re an established market leader and growing telematics and electronic proof of delivery company based in Nottingham. Our mission is to empower our customers to reduce their costs and environmental impact by maximising the efficiency of their transportation operations.
We believe in our culture, values and staff successes, take a look around our new careers page to see why our employees love Microlise
We believe in developing our staff and support our employees with their professional development goals
Support will be provided to attend and present at national/international conferences and workshop in your research area
25 days holiday excluding bank holidays
Free parking, tea, coffee and daily fruit
Vitality Health Insurance, Employee Assistance Programme and subsidised eye tests and glasses
Great staff extras: Easter eggs, yearly BBQ, Christmas gifts and annual staff awards!
Free tickets to the British Superbikes, come and support Microlise Cresswell racing and the team!
For successful candidates, interviews will take place whilst the advert is still live; so don’t delay getting your application in! Please note that we are able to offer visa sponsorship for the right candidate; if you require sponsorship, please ensure this is stated on your application.
Whilst we can offer some flexibility for the successful candidate to work from home at the moment due to COVID-19, this role is predominately office based from our Head Office in Nottingham
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£40k - £60k Annual
£70k - £70k Annual
£600 - £670 Daily
£60k - £70k Annual
£60k - £70k Annual
£50k - £55k Annual
£60k - £80k Annual
£60k - £80k Annual