IT Manager / Lead Systems Engineer / Head of Systems
Posted on Apr 29, 2021 by Sensical Services
Salary £55k+ (negotiable)
Permanent, full time
Reporting to senior management, this is a new hands on technical role with global accountability for all production systems. The ideal candidate will possess a broad range of technical experience, be highly motivated and will likely come from a role with similar responsibilities.
Sensical is a small and growing IT MSP and consultancy based in the City of London. Our customers are SMEs within financial services and other sectors that value expert advice, system reliability and high-quality support that is a cut above the average. We are a friendly close-knit and supportive team of experts.
- Accountable for availability and performance of IT systems for Sensical and its customers.
- Technologies: VMware, SANs, Windows & Linux Server + much more.
- Hands on highly technical role.
- Monitoring of all IT systems.
- Developing and executing IT system maintenance plans.
- Identifying IT system risks and maintain IT system risk log (security, capacity, resilience etc.).
- Planning and carrying out projects to improve IT systems.
Reporting to director level and working alongside heads of department for support and project delivery, this highly technical role will have sole responsibility for planning and executing the discovery, documentation, monitoring, ongoing maintenance, and continual improvement of all internal and customer production systems under support.
The ideal candidate must be highly organised, possess expert technical knowledge and be able to quickly master complex technical systems, their component parts, and interdependencies. The role will suit a highly motivated individual with a passion for quality and the drive to seek out and own potential issues and opportunities for system improvement.
This role has no direct reports but will work closely with existing engineering resources, who can take responsibility for systems as directed.
- Ownership of all production infrastructure.
- Responsible for infrastructure management standards and discovery:
- Accountable for the creation and refinement of the standards for in-life infrastructure management (including support documentation, monitoring, risk & optimisation identification, backup, patching and maintenance schedules).
- Accountable for ensuring existing in-life systems meet the infrastructure management standards.
- Accountable for discovery of new systems and ensuring they meet the infrastructure management standards.
- Responsible for infrastructure health & maintenance:
- Accountable for the ongoing health, availability, and performance of all production infrastructure.
- Accountable for timely maintenance of all production infrastructure, i.e., developing and implementing proactive maintenance tasks and schedules.
- Accountable for suitable vendor support contracts being in place.
- Accountable for proactive infrastructure monitoring, backup and DR.
- Accountable for ongoing identification and prioritisation of infrastructure risks and optimisations.
- Development and maintenance of a production infrastructure knowledge and skills matrix, identifying gaps for resolution.
- Clear delegation of infrastructure management responsibilities to engineers in the Support and Delivery departments where appropriate.
- Responsible for Major Incident Resolution and Root Cause Analysis.
Relevant Skills and Experience
- Experience of directly delivering 3rd and 4th line support of complex systems.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent documentation skills and attention to detail. Past experience of documenting complex systems for the purposes of in-life management.
- Ability to continually and quickly become a technical expert in new systems and vendors.
- Familiarity with asset management, CMDB and documentation systems.
- Great team player.
- Required technologies: Sensical is technology agnostic, however the main technologies in use for which we require expert knowledge are: Windows Server, VMware, iSCSI and FC SANs, Veeam, RDS, Citrix and Microsoft Exchange. The majority of systems are in private cloud but an increasing proportion are in public cloud.
- Desirable technologies: Networking and Linux Server OS, AWS and Azure / Office 365.