Sr Director and Account Manager - Business Development and Capture, Veterans Affairs
Posted on Apr 22, 2021 by Leidos
The Health Group of Leidos has a career opportunity for an Account Manager/Sr Director to assist the Military and Veterans Health Solutions (MVHS) business in pursuing profitable growth and executing the Leidos new business plan, working with Business Development and Operations leaders, reporting directly to the MVHS BD VP.
This role is responsible for the pipeline development, account strategy and tactical execution of the assigned line of business in support of the market strategy. The role requires a resource who is numbers driven, brings existing relationships within and across the VA and the vendor community, and who thrives in a demanding and fast paced environment.
The qualified candidate is responsible for the management and execution of the full capture life-cycle across multiple simultaneous pursuits and proposals; supported by a team of BD and capture managers who report to the Account Manager. We are an agile team that is looking for a highly motivated, detail-oriented, self-directed individual to assist in leading responses of statement of works/objectives and competitive RFP/RFQ/RFI requests. The candidate is expected to understand and adapt to our identified proposal protocol, as well as understand Leidos products and services in order to lead capture efforts. As an experienced professional, the candidate is also requested to assist other capture, BD and/or operations professionals and support the larger Health Group Team. The AM will also represent Leidos publicly through social media, event participation and charitable activities supported by the company.
This individual will be expected to coalesce with team members, BD, operational leadership, and SMEs to build and execute call plans to position MVHS for successful pursuits. This person will also gather, assess, and validate customer requirements, working closely with BD leads - identifying related needs and constraints that impact the winning solution. Candidates at this level will develop value propositions through program strategies, supporting business cases and project plans and develop early win strategies and evolve the strategy throughout the Capture lifecycle. The AM will develop, organize and execute significant capture activities, including building industry and Leidos-internal teams, assess win probability, develop win plans/strategies, address gap analysis, etc. in order to respond to and win business with new and existing customers. The candidate is expected to exercise sound judgment within broadly defined practices and policies; regularly interact with all levels of management, functional POCs, staff, and customers; and display a high degree of tact and diplomacy. Characteristics necessary for success include: business and technical vision; disciplined strategic thinking; analytical presentation and problem solving skills; the ability to gain internal support; and the ability to establish and maintain a solid working relationships and communication with technical staff, managers, and peers. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
- Define, build and execute pipeline of opportunities to achieve business goals
- Manage team budget for new budget execution, ensuring good stewardship and efficient execution
- Leading both direct reports and matrix teams to successful execution of opportunities.
- Support, develop and mentor growth staff within and across the MVHS team. Drive performance of BD and Capture team members through oversight, clear direction and obstacle removal.
- Revise and update account strategy to adjust to changing customer priorities, corporate initiatives or market developments; define and recommend M&A candidates
- Develop value propositions, support business cases and project plans and develop early win strategies
- Develop, organize and execute significant capture activities, including building industry and Leidos-internal teams
- Assist with the creation and execution of call plans at the account level and across multiple opportunities
- Assist with the gathering, assessment and validation of customer requirements, identifying gaps and emerging requirements
- Drive all aspects of the capture successfully through the Win Plan process.
- Communicate resource needs and leverage resources assigned, collaborating with subject and technical matter experts, functional leads, and Program Managers.
- Serve Division Managers and Operation senior staff by managing call plan development, execution, and detailed reporting on, and tracking of, follow-up activities after plan execution.
- Plan and participate in capture activities, to include white papers, RFIs, sources sought, workshops, opportunity gate reviews, black hat sessions, collaboration sessions, and proposal reviews.
- Ensure timely delivery of compliant RFI, sources sought and proposal responses.
- Interact routinely with all levels of Division, Operation and Group management, infrastructure POCs, staff, and customers, and follow through on tasking.
- Brief pipeline, team and capture status to senior management at specified milestones in the capture process and as needed.
- Conduct after action reviews for all business opportunities, document lessons learned and identify necessary adjustments to capture technique, strategy, and actions.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field and 15+ years of related experience.
- Experience working directly with Veterans Affairs (VA) personnel.
- Leadership skills to develop, organize and execute significant capture activities, including building industry teams, assessing win probability, ensuring execution of customer call plans to shape acquisitions in order to respond to and win business with new and existing customers.
- Extensive knowledge, experience, and success in winning captures of large scale opportunities over $50M
- Demonstrable understanding of all contract types (non-IDIQ, IDIQ - single or multiple award contracts), as well as payment types (e.g., FFP, T&M, cost plus).
- Ability to work and execute a quick reaction process for all government responses.
- Ability to influence constructively and interact at the highest levels of the corporate structure is a prerequisite.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, and business acumen.
- Confidence and experience dealing with senior executives; ability to work efficiently in fast-paced, time-sensitive and often multi-tasking environment.
- Ability to travel, as necessary in support of the capture, based on negotiated work location, up to 10% per month.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).
- Ability to lead local and geographically-dispersed teams.
- Ability to use automated tools such as Microsoft Office and Winit to present ideas, information, and reports.
- The candidate must exhibit leadership traits and personal characteristics which are necessary for success.
- Key factors include: sound business judgment, keen conceptual skills, intellectual discipline, self-confidence, imagination, well-developed management skills, and the personal ambition to play a major role in the growth and success of a high technology company with a strong heritage for high quality and responsive service to its clients.
- Experience with federal government budget, investments and acquisition processes.
- Ability to gain internal support, operate independently with limited supervision and feedback, and establish a solid working relationship with technical staff, division managers, and peers in the Group and across Leidos.
- Ability to deliver and willingness to provide effective coaching, mentoring, and training of the capture and proposal process.
- A proven history and bias for action and an orientation towards solving rather than solely identifying problem areas is a preferred characteristic of the ideal candidate.
External Referral Bonus: Eligible Potential for Telework: Yes, 10% Clearance Level Required: None Travel: Yes, 50% of the time Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40 Shift: Day Requisition Category: Professional Job Family: Capture Management Pay Range: