Systems Engineer - Data Lake/Kubernetes Administrator
Posted on Apr 22, 2021 by Thrivent
We exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs to help people make the most of all they've been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want today-and tomorrow.
Our engineering teams are small, fast-paced and highly visible. We are looking for experienced engineers who are passionate about the quality of their work and like complex and impactful projects. We will provide a work environment where you are empowered to do a great job and will be recognized for your achievements. You will have the opportunity to work with highly entrepreneurial team members with a startup culture.
As the Full time Systems Engineer focusing on the infrastructure side of technologies, for example: Linux, Cloudera, Hadoop, Kubernetes, Java, Scala and cloud technologies such as AWS. Bring your Hadoop administration expertise to help us support this important work! As a systems engineer you will managing these technologies including the administration, installation, access, licensing, troubleshooting escalated issues, etc There will be some on-call responsibilities but typically they are covered during business hours, this may expand to be more of an active on-call rotation.
You will also be providing engineering guidance of technology solutions that deliver business value across the organization, continuously improving time to market. Creates road maps that translate business requirements into technology solutions. Specifies IT hardware and software plans and develops implementation roadmaps. Ensures compliance of application and technical infrastructure development with company and industry standards. Influences future systems engineering. Assesses emerging technologies for application to Thrivent's initiatives and provides technical expertise for next generation initiatives.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Experience in creating and managing production scale Kubernetes clusters
- Deep understanding of Kubernetes networking.
- Support our Kubernetes based projects to resolve critical and complex technical issue.
- Performing application deployments on Kubernetes cluster.
- Securely managing Kubernetes Cluster on at least one of the cloud providers.
- Managing Kubernetes secrets using hashicorp vault
- Experience managing data lake clusters (hadoop/databricks)
Required Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in MIS, Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years of experience working knowledge of containers, Kubernetes and cloud platforms (AWS, GCP and/or Azure)
- In depth understanding and working experience of Apache Kafka/Confluent Platform (Kafka Producers/Consumers/KStreams/Schema Registry)
- Prefer experience with RedHat Linux administration, Kubernetes, Java, Scala and data engineering cloud technologies AWS.
- Knowledge of systems design, architecting and implementing large business systems
- Demonstrates knowledge of Server, OS, network and storage systems.
- Knowledge of security principals, patching and automation.
- Strong organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills