Science Research & Development Manager
Posted on Apr 21, 2021 by CV-Library
To lead our science team in researching and developing genetically selected trees.
To lead our science team in researching and developing genetically selected trees. To manage and develop our Somatic Embryogenesis work into wider commercial production.
· To continue the research, development and applied science that we have done to develop trees with improved genetic make-up to give better characteristics such as growth, yield, form, frost resistance etc.
· To continue and develop our considerable success in Somatic Embryogenesis to give improved production methods and develop methods to increase our production volumes at lower cost.
· Continue our work to identify treatments in the forest to help our customers ensure that our trees are healthy and grow well. Developing treatments for pine weevil and also methods for fertilizing trees at planting are two aspects of this currently.
· To liaise and engage with the wider scientific community to identify opportunities for us to commercialise, develop and promote in our market.
· Follow the latest scientific research into forestry and genetics to keep Maelor at the forefront of developments.
· Continue and develop our various research project and relationships with Universities both in the UK and abroad.
· Supporting our Agronomy Manager in developing field trials for herbicide, pesticide and other crop treatments to support the Nursery team in growing good quality crops within a strict legislative framework.
Financial and Budgetary Control
Ensure science team work to budget
Customer Service and Quality
· Support the customer team in communicating the value of our scientific research to our customer base.
Health and Safety
Maintain up to date knowledge of health and safety (and related) policies and procedures affecting each production facility, ensuring all Health and Safety Policies and Procedures are followed at all times .
Demonstrate an appropriate attitude towards health and safety requirements ensuring that direct reports adopt similar positive attitudes and that they understand and embrace their responsibilities with respect to Health and Safety.
Ensure reporting immediately of any incident, defect, unsafe practices or damage or defects to company assets, site equipment where personnel will be at risk from further failure and which can not be addressed through normal operational activities.
Ensure accident investigations are conducted when required and all documentation is completed and remedial actions implemented.
· Manage our internal graduate and external phd student relationships to ensure that they are well supported and aligned with our business objectives.
Promote an image that is in keeping with the Groups status as the UK's leading sawmilling group.
Any additional duty required by the Company for which the job holder has the ability and required training to complete.
Represent Maelor on appropriate trade bodies and forums