Diagnostic Medical Physicist - Imaging
Posted on Apr 21, 2021 by Ascension
We Are Hiring: Diagnostic Medical Physcisit
Ascension Via Christi - St. Francis Hospital
Full-Time, Day Shift
Ascension Via Christi has a rich history of serving the people of Kansas and the surrounding region, which dates back more than 125 years to the healing ministries of our founding congregations. Today, our integrated health system - with hospitals, physician clinics, therapy centers and other health services - is the largest healthcare provider in Kansas.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, with special attention to persons living in poverty and those most vulnerable. In FY2019, Ascension provided $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
Ascension includes more than 150,000 associates and 40,000 aligned providers. The national health system operates more than 2,600 sites of care - including 150 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities - in 20 states and the District of Columbia, while providing a variety of services including clinical and network services, venture capital investing, investment management, biomedical engineering, facilities management, risk management, and contracting through Ascension's own group purchasing organization.
What You Will Do: Job Summary:
- Ensures high quality diagnostic medical imaging and promotes a culture of radiation safety in the clinical use of radioactive materials and medical imaging systems.
- Performs performance measurements on diagnostic imaging systems located at Ascension Via Christi Hospitals, Inc in Wichita, KS. Equipment tested includes X-ray, CT, MRI, Ultrasound, Digital Mammography (DBT and SBB), Dexa, Dental and Nuclear Medicine (SPECT and PET). Testing is performed at frequencies determined by the Coordinator of Medical Physics and Radiation Safety Officer
- Recommends and justifies new equipment and products for Radiation Safety and Diagnostic Imaging.
- Performs radiation shielding calculations, reviews radiation shielding design plans, and performs shielding integrity surveys in accordance with State regulations.
- Serves as the Assistant Radiation Safety Officer
- Participates as a medical physicist and/or radiation safety officer in the administration of therapeutic radionuclides.
- Reviews and monitors imaging equipment performance, patient dose trends and quality control results to assure compliance with regulations and standards developed by the State of Kansas Department of Health and Education (KDHE), Equipment Accreditation Bodies and The Joint Commission.
- Recommends, supervises and modifies radiation safety procedures in areas using radiation producing devices or radioactive materials.
- Develops educational materials and trains medical and technical staff in radiation safety practices.
- Monitors quality control measurements for all advanced imaging systems - Mammography, CT, Interventional Radiology, Cardiology, Nuclear Medicine and MRI
- Under direction of the Radiation Safety Officer manages the routine operation of the Personnel dosimetry program.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual summary reports of personnel exposure trends.
- Assists in the management and testing of Lead Protective Devices in all VCH facilities in the Wichita, KS geographical area.
- Responds to radiation incidents to assist in facility and patient monitoring and decontamination
Complexity of Work:
- Within scope of job, requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful
Licensure / Certification / Registration:
- Medical Physicist credentialed from the American Board of Radiology obtained within 12 Months (1 year) of hire date or job transfer date.
- High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate's degree, or Technical degree required.
- Prefered: enrollment in and in good standing with a CAMPEP-accredited program (graduate or doctorate in medical physics (DMP). The program director must attest that the candidate has completed or will complete the core courses, as described by CAMPEP, prior to the date of the exam; or graduated from a CAMPEP-accredited program (graduate or doctorate in medical physics (DMP); or completed a CAMPEP-accredited certificate program and have completed a PhD program at the time of registration; or be enrolled in or have completed a CAMPEP-accredited residency; or be partaking in an ABR-approved Structured Mentorship program.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all. In FY2020, Ascension provided $2.4 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs. Ascension includes more than 160,000 associates and 40,000 aligned providers across a national network of ministries. We offer rewarding careers across more than 2,600 sites of care - including 146 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities - in 19 states and the District of Columbia.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer: Ascension Via Christi is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action employer. Associates and Applicants receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
Pay Non-Discrimination Notice:
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the "EEO is the Law" poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.