Posted on Apr 14, 2021 by Grass Valley School District
Grass Valley School District is hiring School Custodian.
Supervisor: Principal/Lead Custodian
Summary: Keeps the district's facilities in such a state of operating excellence that they present no problem or interruption to the educational program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Other duties may be assigned.
1. Sweeps and/or vacuums classrooms, offices, and assigned areas daily and dusts furniture.
2. Washes, scrubs, and disinfects rest rooms and cleans all fixtures and drinking fountains in assigned areas.
3. Keeps all floors, carpets, and doors in a clean and attractive condition and in a good state of preservation.
4. Waxes floors and shampoos carpets as needed.
5. Empties and cleans wastebaskets.
6. Cleans all chalkboards as assigned or requested.
7. Maintains various classroom and rest room supplies including towels, soap, tissues, etc.
8. Washes all windows on both the inside and outside at least once each month and more frequently if necessary.
9. Picks up paper and other refuse on grounds and sweeps walks and entrances in assigned areas.
10. Performs emergency repair or cleaning services as necessary.
11. Moves furniture or equipment within buildings as required for various activities and as directed by the principal.
12. Reports safety, sanitary, and fire hazards, and major repairs needed promptly to his/her supervisor.
13. Reports immediately to the principal/lead custodian any damage to school property.
14. Keeps buildings and grounds neat and clean at all times.
15. Assumes responsibility for general building security including all doors and windows and all lights, except those left on for safety reasons.
16. Complies with local laws and procedures for the storage and disposal of trash, rubbish, and waste.
17. Assists with necessary painting, general repairs, general mechanical areas, remodeling and renovation during the summer and school recesses.
18. Maintains a positive and helpful attitude with adults and children and works cooperatively with fellow employees and other staff workers.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Qualification Requirements: Ability to pass a Post-Offer Placement Exam (POPP). To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee frequently must squat, stoop or kneel, reach above the head and reach forward. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp tools and climbs on to ladders. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds such as cleaning supplies, pails and unloading trucks. Occasionally the employee will lift and/or move up to 75 pounds such as bulk furniture. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables, bleachers, scrubbing machines. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works indoors and outdoors. The employee will work near or with moving mechanical equipment. The employee may occasionally work with toxic or caustic chemicals such as petroleum products, degreasers, and sprays. The employee must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Education and/or Experience: Equivalent to completion of high school or general education degree (GED) and one year of general work experience, preferably including some custodial or janitorial work.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and community. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.