Senior Inertial Navigation, Sensor-Fusion Engineer
Posted on Apr 12, 2021 by Focal point positioning
FocalPoint Positioning is an exciting start-up, backed by some of the biggest names in the tech industry and we are on a journey to revolutionise the positioning, navigation, and timing of smartphones and vehicles. We have created technologies that have rewritten the textbooks on how GPS works and are looking for talented scientists and engineers to join our team to help bring our products to the world.
Location: Offices in Cambridge/Bristol (remote/office-based)
Hours of work: 40 hours per week
Length: Full-time / Permanent
Job Reference: FPP/INE1
Providing Next Generation Positioning Solutions
We believe that GNSS is one of the marvels of the modern world and here at FocalPoint, we are on a journey to revolutionise positioning and navigation for smartphones, wearables and vehicles.
Over a trillion dollars of the US economy and over 800 billion euros of the European economy currently depends on this incredible positioning and timing system. However, the sensitivity and accuracy of current receivers fail the levels of performance 21st century businesses and individuals demand.
Backed by some of the largest names in the global tech industry, our technologies transform the capability of all GNSS systems worldwide.
We are looking for a Senior Inertial Navigation / Sensor-Fusion Engineer who is passionate about technology and excited about the goals of our company. You will join our Sensor Fusion team and help lead the development of our inertial navigation and positioning algorithms, while working closely with our software engineers to deliver products to our customers. The role offers significant scope for professional development spanning the research, product and software engineering disciplines and mentorship of junior staff.
- Work closely with software engineers / architects to plan the design of our products
- Provide technical leadership within a development team to integrate inertial navigation solutions into our products
- Propose and perform research and development work to enhance our positioning and navigation sensor fusion technologies
- Provide technical leadership of R&D projects
- Regular reporting on the progress of projects
- Provide technical mentorship to junior engineering staff
- Good undergraduate degree in a relevant field
- Relevant academic or industrial experience (e.g. developing inertial navigation and positioning sensor-fusion algorithms)
- Strong programming experience in Matlab, Python or C++
- Experience in inertial navigation systems (INS) processing, pedestrian dead reckoning techniques
- Experience of multi-sensor fusion techniques, such as loose, tight and deep coupling for GNSS-INS
- Experience of estimation techniques, such as Kalman filtering
- Knowledge of signal processing and machine-learning methods
- Strong programming experience in C++
Your Development and Perks
Your development is equally important as our business grows and we offer opportunities including appraisals, career development plans, training courses, feedback sessions through 1-2-1 meetings, knowledge-sharing and cross-training.
- Our generous benefits package includes the following:5% matched contribution pension scheme
- Flexible working (office and remote working to suit your needs)
- 25 days annual leave + bank holidays
- Extra annual leave between Christmas - New Year's
- BUPA private healthcare
- Access to CharlieHR PerksAtWork
- Company Options Scheme*
- £2000 Recommend a friend scheme
- Office-based Friday lunches on us
- Office-based fruit deliveries and unlimited amounts of caffeine
Are You Ready to Change the World?
Our people are at the heart of everything we do. Our successes are achievements driven by our employees.
And that is why our culture is about investing, cultivating and growing our people. We thrive on being trailblazers in the industry and in being honest and the best at everything we do, we will always lead the way in the industry.
Equality, diversity and inclusion is what we continue to build upon. We aim to attract diverse talent from around the world, ensure fairness and equality is at the top of our agenda and sustain an inclusive culture where everyone can grow and succeed.