Posted on Apr 8, 2021 by The Shelby company
Executive Vice President
The Estimator is one of the most critical positions in The Shelby Company, the Estimator is the key to competitiveness and profitability. The Estimator estimates labor and material costs based on specifications submitted by customers and prospective customers. The Estimator will examine specifications and layouts in order to calculate costs using labor and material pricing through Carton ERP. Utilizes knowledge of labor and material costs, manufacturing methods and operating procedures in order to create an accurate competitive estimate of costs. Determines the need for outsourced services and computes cost estimates for subcontract work and labor. Updates and trains as necessary on all aspects of Carton ERP management software and is the "go to" for all administrative responsibilities of that software.
Duties and responsibilities
- Run estimates as requested by the sales team through the RFQ process in Carton ERP.
- Review and analyze incoming customer specifications to determine the best/efficient method of manufacture and how the product will be produced within customer time commitments.
- Keeps up on all manufacturing efficiency numbers as they relate to estimating production costs.
- Acting back up for Customer Service department.
- Assist in closed job analysis.Analyze standards in estimating system and update when necessary.
- Leads meetings which outline new jobs for Production Managers.
- Knowledgeable about the materials needed for each manufacturing process.
- Actively participate in meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma / GED
- Must have reasoning ability to identify alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- At least five years of professional working experience in the printing industry, preferred in manufacturing environment.
- Must be an expert in Microsoft Excel and Word and have strong computer skills and problem solving.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work well with others and a team player
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- CAD software experience is preferred.
- Strong understanding of technical printing terms and processes including but not limited to: layouts, Impositions, signatures, standard paper sizes, standard substrates, bindery processes, finishing processes (die cutting, folding/gluing, foil stamping) and familiarity with offset and digital printing.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical and visual activities that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job:
Standing, walking, visual acuity (Near and Far).
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.