Python Developer - EVs & Electrification
Posted on Mar 29, 2021 by Octopus Energy
Octopus Energy, Python Developer - EVs & Electrification
We believe energy should be better - for you and the environment. We're a leading energy technology company providing a better experience for our customers through transparency, honesty and simplicity. Better for the planet, through real long-term investment in renewable generation and a low CO2 future. Better value, by throwing away the old business models of the "Big 6" and instead building a business that's fit for the 21st century. We make energy green and flexible for consumers, with fair and transparent pricing. Through our home developed platform, cloud-based billing, and sophisticated use of data science, modelling and AI, we're redefining what is possible in energy.
Our breakthrough Agile tariff has been widely reported as leading the way in energy innovation, and we're passionate about fairness - we were first to uncover the widespread strategy of energy company tease and squeeze pricing and following on from this campaign, our CEO and Founder Greg Jackson presented evidence in favour of capping energy tariff prices before the bill committee in Parliament .
We already supply 100% renewable energy to nearly 2 million homes and over 15,000 businesses (including Arsenal FC and the Cardiff Blues to help them power their stadiums with 100% renewable energy) throughout Great Britain and we're also the supplier behind M&S Energy . We're award winning for our disruptive technology and are delighted to be the only energy supplier to pass the rigorous Which? customer service tests and be their only recommended energy supplier for 4 years in a row.
We also proudly enjoy a 5-star TrustPilot ranking from our customers. We were named the Company that's done the most in the past year to advance UK renewables at the REA Awards 2019 , and most recently, our proudest award, that of Best Company to Work For. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus for Business, Kraken Technology, Octopus Electric Vehicles and Octopus Energy Services as well as our new net zero Centre - Octopus Centre for Net Zero.
We recently secured over £500 million of investment from Origin, Australia's largest Energy Company and Tokyo Gas, to help us continue on our mission.
About the role
We're looking for someone to join our backend team for Electric Juice - our award winning electric vehicle charging tech that's making it super-easy to charge EVs across the UK & Europe. Being part of the backend team is a fast paced role: Electric Juice operates like a start-up within Octopus Energy, and will give you the chance to have a huge impact on how the product develops. It's also broad - working within the product team you'll help with everything from integrating new chargers and providing services for the mobile app to solving architectural problems and connecting ever more deeply with Kraken's energy functions.
You're an engineer that writes high-quality code, is an excellent communicator on complex topics, and can solve problems with a team. Ultimately you're excited to build excellent tech that has a positive effect on consumers' lives and an important role to play in the UK's road to net zero.
What you'll have
- A strong understanding of the Python ecosystem with 3+ years of experience.
- Experience with Django
- Can discuss vision and features within a team and propose creative solutions
- Can write robust and fault-tolerant software
- Knowledge of (or a desire to learn) GraphQL APIs is a plus
- Proficient understanding of Git
- Familiarity with continuous integration and continuous deployment
- Ability to work at our London office for at least 50% of the time
What you'll love about us
- Our company culture - we won best company to work for in 2019 and our CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK , we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Relaxation - we don't count your holidays here, we work hard, and so we know you need to play hard as well (within reason of course)
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office culture - have a certain tech requirement? We'll do our best to get it. Our offices are also stocked with fruit, breakfast, great coffee and soft drinks. Weekly on a Friday we all get together (this happens virtually too) for company updates and drinks - we call it Family Dinner
- Social Events - we sponsor YeoValley's summer festival, valleyfest, every year for our big offsite Summer party (we take our kids too) and we also aim to have 3 parties a year
- Parents - get access to tax free childcare and maternity and paternity pay. We're always looking for new ways to support parents, during lockdown we created OctoKids TV to help keep your kids occupied and entertained
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
- SmartPension Scheme - employer 5% employee 3% and you can contribute more
- Cycle to Work Scheme - to help lower your carbon footprint whilst good for your health
If this opportunity sounds like you and you have a genuine passion for what we're doing at Octopus Energy then we'd love to hear from you.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£18.5k - £18.5k Annual
£42k - £46.2k Annual
£32.2k - £45.8k Annual
£32.2k - £45.8k Annual