Python Developer- Trading, Front Office, Commodities
Posted on Mar 25, 2021 by Brookwood
Python Developer - Trading, Front Office, Commodities
Brookwood is currently seeking an experienced Python Developer with extensive Trading, Front Office and Commodities experience.
Trading, Front Office and Commodities experience is an essential requirement, alongside extensive Python experience.
This is 6 months initially, with the likelihood of extension.
This is currently remote and will require some office presence in London once it is feasible.
The day rate is £600 Outside IR35, (it is Outside IR35 for the entire project and not affected by April changes).
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and support an in-house application that provides bespoke risk management tooling to Derivatives traders.
- Must liaise directly with both traders and quants to establish requirements, develop and test new functionality.
- Develop and support the end-to-end software development life cycle, being involved in all activities: design, development, testing and deployment, ensuring our tooling and processes are enhanced as we evolve.
- Provide BAU support to ensure high availability. We have a commitment to ensure that there is always at least one developer available during business hours.
- Work with other IT teams to build or define the required interfaces and architecture.
Skills & Competencies
- Senior/advanced Python programming skills
- Experience of developing complex, business-oriented functionality with limited or fluid requirements, under tight timescales. This may have been gained on any trading floor or similarly paced environment.
- Experience of continuous integration and deployment of Python applications
- Disciplines that support Agile software development: automated testing, Continuous Delivery, code review, pair programming, specification by example, etc.
- Testing software (TDD, BDD, py.test, mock).
- Writing software that is compliant to the SOLID principles. Passionate about writing clean code, refactoring, aiming to find simple solutions for complex problems.
- Version control with Git. Experience using the workflow based on forks, branches and pull requests presented by GitHub.
- Relational SQL databases
- OTC/Derivatives trade life cycle and position management experience would be highly regarded.
- Comfortable interfacing with mathematical pricing models (options preferably).
- Commodities/Energy Front Office trading experience.
- GUI development using Qt5/PyQt5. (Even better: Enaml)
- ORM for SQL Databases, ideally SQLAlchemy.
- MongoDB (interfacing from Python).
- Advanced distributed/concurrent programming.
- Conda (using conda as package manager and even better, having used conda-build to build and distribute your own conda packages).
- Demonstrate technical authority in order to have credibility within a talented team
- Outstanding analytic and problem-solving skills. Should be prepared to take a problem to its conclusion with minimal guidance and support.
- Intellectual curiosity to investigate and share new libraries and technologies.
- Must be comfortable communicating directly with demanding end users and quants, in an open, transparent and honest manner, so you're able to share bad news as well as good ones.
- Committed to Agile development best practises