Posted on Mar 24, 2021 by Global Canopy
We are based in central Oxford. Currently working fully remotely due to Covid-19 restrictions.
We are a flexible employer. The general minimum requirement is one day a week in the office. However we can be flexible on this for the right candidate.
Global Canopy is a data-driven think tank that targets the market forces destroying nature. We do this by improving transparency and accountability. We provide innovative open-access data, clear metrics, and actionable insights to leading companies, financial institutions, governments and campaigning organisations worldwide.
You will be part of a leading team of international researchers, product developers and supply chain experts working across the Trase initiative, which is led jointly with the Stockholm Environment Institute and involves partners across the world.
Trase is a pioneering sustainability data and intelligence platform that reveals the connections between consumers, producers and investors, as well as the environmental and social impacts linked to global supply chains. The Trase approach draws on vast sets of production, trade, customs and financial data, for the first time laying bare the flows of globally-traded commodities - such as palm oil, soya, and beef - at scale, as well as the flows of capital used to finance this trade.
The position will be responsible for leading the Trase Data Observatory, a product workstream within Trase responsible for facilitating access to, and understanding of, Trase data.
Data access and understanding
- Build and maintain tools that enable better external and internal data access and visualisation of the full extent of Trase data, via intuitive interfaces for the database and public API.
- Facilitate feedback on published and unpublished supply chain models and sustainability indicators by creating tools that support communication and engagement with key user groups and partners.
- Develop automated data reports that can help solve common user queries.
- Support development of interactive explainers for Trase data products, for example simplifying and breaking down our methods for external audiences.
- Data analysis, visualisation and Trase insights
- Improve the communication of Trase findings by developing and designing standardised and purpose built data visualisations for publications and presentations. This will build on the work developed in Observable for the Trase Insights platform.
- Work with colleagues to analyse Trase and other data to produce actionable insights regarding the sustainability of commodity trade.
- Support ongoing efforts to improve and expand Trase in new countries and commodities using data from government sources, company websites, NGOs and collaborating research groups.
- Prototype new features and functionality for the public offering of Trase, including bringing some of this work to production.
Work with team and partners
- Work across a diverse team with differing levels of data literacy
- Work closely with partners to facilitate access to related datasets
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£55k - £65k Annual
£400 - £500 Hourly
£500 - £550 Daily
£45k - £60k Annual
£600 - £750 Daily
£50k - £60k Annual
£40k - £45k Annual
£40k - £50k Annual
£45k - £90k Annual