Posted on Mar 24, 2021 by National Biodiversity Network Trust
Java Developer - short term contract
Payment will be dependent on experience and will range from £154 to £192 per day.
Location: Home based
Type: 3 to 6 month contract position
Hours: Full time (part-time considered for the right candidate(s))
The NBN Trust is looking for an experienced Java/Grails/Groovy developer for the NBN Atlas , the UK's primary depository for biodiversity data. The development required will include:
- Investigation and problem-solving targeted issues
- Small enhancements to add new features to existing components
- Bug fixing
You will have experience in:
- Grails/Groovy development
- Linux and cloud service environments
- Strong problem-solving skills.
You will need to provide your own IT equipment in order to meet the needs of the contract work.
To find out more, please read the Information for Applicants document. Applications will be assessed as they are submitted.
We are ideally hoping for an immediate start date.
INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
The National Biodiversity Network Trust
The National Biodiversity Network Trust is a charitable organisation with a membership that shares biological data and information under the banner of the National Biodiversity Network, usually referred to as the NBN. The NBN membership includes most of the UK's national biological recording schemes and societies, many of the UK's largest wildlife charities and Local Environmental Record Centres, as well as government agencies, research institutions, museums, botanic gardens and members of the public.
The NBN Trust was set up as an independent charity in 2000 to oversee and facilitate the development of the Network. The Trust provides a digital infrastructure to facilitate the sharing of wildlife information in the UK. By providing easy access to the information people need about wildlife, informed decisions can be made to ensure our natural environment is diverse and sustainable now and in the future. To date, nearly 200 million records have been shared via the online NBN Atlas.
The NBN Trust is looking for an experienced Java/full stack developer on a contract basis of between 3 and 6 months for the NBN Atlas, the UK's primary depository for biodiversity data.
Under current restrictions all of the NBN Trust team is working from home, therefore you need to be self-motivated and comfortable being home based.
The NBN Trust's Technical Team is small and currently only has one other systems developer, however, you will be supported by the NBN Atlas Data Manager.
NBN Atlas tech stack
The NBN Atlas is based on a microservices REST architecture and is deployed on a
number of Ubuntu servers hosted on AWS and Azure. The main technologies in use are:
- Cassandra, SOLR, MySQL, PostGreSQL
- Java, Scala, Groovy, Grails
- Tomcat and Apache web servers
- Working knowledge of Linux and cloud service environments
- Grails and/or Java programming
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work within a (thinly documented) extensive codebase
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, send a CV detailing how your experience matches our requirements to us by clicking apply now.
DETAILS OF EMPLOYMENT
The daily rate for this contract work will be £154 to £192 per day depending on experience.
- TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Contract 3 - 6 months
We aim to be an equal opportunities employer and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
- The interview panel is responsible for the selection process and will consist of the Interim CEO, NBN Atlas Data Manager and NBN Atlas Project Manager
- Applications will be assessed as they are submitted. If your application meets our criteria you will be contacted within one week of submission to discuss your application further. If you do not hear from us within 14 days of submitting your application, you have unfortunately not been successful this time.
Please note: If you would like us to confirm receipt of your application by email please indicate this in your covering email
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN WORKING WITH THE NATIONAL BIODIVERSITY NETWORK TRUST. WE LOOK FORWARD TO RECEIVING YOUR APPLICATION.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£50k - £60k Annual
£50k - £65k Annual
£30k - £55k Annual
£50k - £60k Annual
£50k - £60k Annual
£45k - £55k Annual
£450 - £475 Annual
£30k - £40k Annual
£40k - £50k Annual