Senior Construction Buyer
Posted on Mar 24, 2021 by Rent For Your Event
About the role
Due to continued growth, we are looking to recruit a Senior Buyer join our team in South Derbyshire.
Reporting to the Managing Director, you will be part of our Head Office buying team responsible for the purchase of goods, materials, tools, equipment and services to ensure that the company operational needs are met, taking into account price, quality and delivery and to ensure continuity of supply.
This role has greater responsibility and accountability than a Buyer and includes some people management responsibility as well as implementation of the Procurement Processes for the company's supply chain. In addition to this, the Senior Buyer will support the estimators with tender rates and prices.
Your role will involve:
- Increasing the number of approved suppliers and identifying potential new suppliers & new products
- Working with the estimator to collate relevant information, issue enquiries to suppliers, receive and analyse quotations, reviewing queries, assumptions and clarifications.
- Recommending inclusion within tenders and producing Take offs from drawings for the Estimators
- Attend internal pre-start meetings, producing and maintaining supplier procurement schedules.
- Working with the Contracts Manager to collate relevant information, issue enquiries to subcontractors, receive and analyse quotations, reviewing queries, assumptions and clarifications.
- Purchase of goods, tools, equipment, materials or services or hire in line with specified cost, quality and delivery targets
- Ensure continuous supply of required plant, equipment, tools and materials and communicate any supply problems which may pose a risk or impact on business operations to the project team
- Report on financial KPIs for the order value against budget/tender allowances
- Develop creative and innovative procurement processes and improve existing processes and procedures for materials buying and plant hire procurement.
- Mentor and coach team members to enhance their career and professional development
- Build, maintain and manage supplier relationships and ensure good communications
- Reviewing and agreeing pricelists, discounts and terms for annual framework renewals and new supplier framework agreements.
- Maintain database and attend meeting with suppliers and stakeholders
What we are looking for
- Civil engineering / Construction buying experience
- Strong negotiation skills for agreeing terms and pricing with current and new suppliers
- CIPS or MCIPS preferred.
- Able to demonstrate strong commercial knowledge and possess a thorough understanding of procurement processes and its application within the construction environment.
- Computer literate with competency in Microsoft packages.
- Self-motivated with a pro-active positive attitude, with the ability to motivate and drive others
- Good at self-management in time and prioritising workload, able to use initiative to solve and avoid problems
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal,
- Full UK Driving Licence
Why work for us
The key to our success has been our commitment to meeting the ever-changing demands expected of our industry through continuous improvement in our performance and our services. We embrace best practice and achieve from it safer sites, client satisfaction (leading to repeat business), a happy and healthy workforce and a reduced environmental impact.
Our employees are essential to make this happen, and as such we have created a positive culture of continuous development and progression opportunity for all who work for us. Many of our employees have been part of the Alpha family for the majority of their careers, and due to continued growth our teams of long standing employees will only get bigger!
We are proud of our work force and have excellent relationships with our clients and sub-contractors leading to positive and productive outputs. We strive to make sure we provide our employees with a sense of satisfaction from their work and recognise achievement from all.
About Alpha Construction
Alpha Construction Ltd is a civil engineering and building contractor, formed in 1982, focused on providing safe, sustainable, cost effective solutions to clients across the UK.
The ability to work with our clients to offer innovative, high quality, cost effective solutions for their projects contributes to us building long lasting relationships and repeat business. Our level of customer focus together with a trained, professional workforce puts us ahead of many of our competitors. In celebrating over 37 years of trading we take great pride in being a local contractor with a national identity undertaking projects for major businesses and organisations across the country.