Posted on Mar 20, 2021 by The Western Reserve Historical Society
RESPONSIBILITY: The Glassblower of Hale Farm and Village is responsible to the Director and/or Education and Public Program Manager as specified per specific event or task.
CLASSIFICATION: part time, non-exempt with regard to overtime
1. Provide in-depth interpretations on the craft, its products and services in the community, region and world, the technology, processes, skills, organization and working environment of the craft; the lives and times of those who pursued the craft to a variety of audiences in the glassworks factory at Hale Farm and Village.
2. Expand proficiency in the skill of 19th century glassblowing and use the information to expand the interpretation and demonstration to the visitor.
3. Research available information on the craft and practitioners of the craft. Work with other WRHS departments including research, Sales, crafts & Trades and interpretation in developing new/varied interpretive programs.
4. Produce the Hale Farm Glass line to meet the specifications for wholesale, retail sale or for use in the restoration programs at Hale Farm & Village.
5. Follow the safety and security procedures established for the site, the tools, materials and equipment.
6. Perform general maintenance and repairs on all glassworks equipment, both fixed and portable, used at Hale Farm & Village.
7. Purchasing supplies and materials necessary for production and demonstrations at Hale Farm
8. Teach workshops with skill levels from beginner to advance.
9. Schedule and coordinate ordering necessary supplies/materials for all crafts and trades at Hale Farm & Village
10. Undertake other specific duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Must have the physical strength and agility to select, produce, and process all materials and use equipment and tools needed for the demonstration/production of glass products.
QUALIFICATIONS: BA in related field of study preferred. Previous experience in a production glass house. Previous public speaking experience. This position requires skill in the appropriate craft and the capability to study and present a historically accurate picture of the craft. Since the incumbent represents Hale Farm and Village to the public, an ability to be articulate, accurate, enthusiastic and sensitive to the needs of the public is a must. Knowledge of chemistry, electronics and construction skills is desirable.
Must be able to lift minimum of 50 lbs.
Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
Must be able to work in extreme heat and cold.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Jennifer Dukes.