Director of Digital Services
Posted on Mar 19, 2021 by University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust
The University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust (UHDB) is a large and complex organisation that has an ambitious digital strategy. The implementation of the digital strategy is integral to the successful delivery of UHDB's 5 year strategy and the enabling strategies.
The Trust is now seeking to appoint a Director of Digital Services. This is a new Trust Board level directorship in recognition that the post holder will be responsible for leading both the strategic and operational digital objectives for UHDB by supporting the development and adoption of outstanding digital health and care services for our patients and their families. The post holder will report directly to the Executive Medical Director.
As our Director of Digital Services the post holder will lead, develop and build diverse digital teams and oversee the delivery of Information Technology services within the Trust.
- Deliver a step change in digital transformation, working with clinicians and staff to ensure the optimisation of our digital services across the organisation, facilitating the realisation of benefits and the integration of digital care with the Trusts quality and safety priorities.
- Support the delivery of the Trusts strategy through ensuring families and our patients are at the centre of all we do, and that staff have the skills and resources required to deliver an outstanding high quality digital and information technology service.
- Drive the adoption and integration of digital as a core aspect of our service delivery. This includes working with operational and clinical teams to ensure our workforce is digitally competent and systems are designed to support clinical and cost effective delivery of health and care services to ensure our systems function effectively within the available resources.
- Manage strategic relationships with suppliers and partners.
- Provide effective leadership and support to the teams responsible for delivery within the remit of the Director of Digital Services portfolio by playing a key role in the development of business cases to demonstrate cost and operational benefit for implementing new digital systems.
- Work in partnership with the Chief Clinical Information Officer to facilitate the achievement of key clinical benefits and outcomes.
- Lead on elevating the Trust as a leader in the field of digital healthcare and position the Trust to benefit from national resources available to further our work, maintain and develop local, national and international relationships
The successful applicant will be educated to degree level in computer science or a related subject with a proven track record of leading and managing digital services within large complex organisations. You will have substantial senior management experience, including specialist experience of delivering major transformation change initiatives in healthcare. The successful delivery of complex multi-organisational portfolios within operational and service based environments with experience of partnership working - Internal and external; local and national Strategic and business planning, including preparation of business cases.
For an informal chat regarding this vacancy please contact Elaine Haupt in the first instance on either or email her at
To apply for this post: Please provide a full curriculum vita with a covering letter (no more than two pages) outlining your relevant experience articulating why you are interested in the role at UHDB
Please send by email marked 'UHDB Director of Digital Services to
A candidate pack can be obtained from Philippa Gardiner.
The interview will consist of:
Stakeholder focus group on the 26th April
Interview date on the 27th April
Closing Date of the advert: Tuesday 6th April 2021Read this before applying
- Job Description (655 KB)
- Person Specification (655 KB)