Senior Data Scientist - Cyber
Posted on Mar 16, 2021 by Intelligent Enterprise Products Limited
Senior Data Scientist - Cyber
Location: South West
Working arrangements: Remote WFH / on-site meetings as required
Position status: Off-payroll working rules apply (IR35 in-scope)
Security clearance: DV, although initially SC (must be held to start role) would be acceptable with the aim to acquire DV once onboarded. Sole UK nationality is required for this role.
Closing date for applications: Tuesday 16 March 2021
Start Date (no later than): 13 April 2021
Cyber Mission Data-Alpha(CMD-A) shall improve the quality of Defence data, through new data structures to enable data exploitation through Machine Learning and Data Science. CMD-A will facilitate the delivery of new Cyber Insights upon data currently held and identify information to assist decision making whilst saving resource effort through automation.
The Data Scientist will work within the multi-disciplined Cyber Mission Data Alpha team. This team consists of Authority Crown Servants, current contract supplier technical resource, and separately procured technical resource.
The Cyber Mission Data Alpha team fits within the current construct of the Data as a Service function, which forms part of the wider Defence Cyber Operations.
Working within the Agile Delivery Model to:
- Increase data value through visualisation of Cyber data
- Work with the DCO Users to turn use cases into value added data visualisation to inform decision making
- Support the continual development of Automation, Orchestration and Machine Learning capabilities
- Manage a small team of data scientists
- Lead data mining and collection procedures
- Ensure data quality and integrity
- Interpret and analyse data problems
- Conceive, plan and prioritise data projects
- Build analytic systems and predictive models
- Test performance of data-driven products
- Visualise data and create reports
- Experiment with new models/techniques
- Align data projects with organisational goals
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A s olid understanding of machine learning
- Knowledge of data management and visualisation techniques
- An ability for statistical analysis and predictive modelling
- Good knowledge of R, Python and MATLAB
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Strong organisational and leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills
- A business mindset
In addition, you should be able to demonstrate:
Applied maths, statistics, and scientific practices. Understand, teach and supervise a range of practices and able to apply theory to practical situations.
Data engineering/manipulation. Experience building data pipelines at scale using a range of toolsets. Advise on data engineering practices, lead data exploration by identifying/setting best practice.
Data science innovation. Able to identify future areas of innovation and demonstrate how it may be applied within the organisation and wider government.
Domain expertise. Create data products proportionate to business benefit/achieve significant impact. Present analysis/visualisations to communicate complex messages. Support the evolution of data governance/take responsibility for applying ethical frameworks.
Programming and build. Design, code, test, correct and document moderate-to-complex programs/scripts from agreed specifications, using agreed standards and tools. Collaborate with others to review specifications where appropriate.
Understanding product life cycle analysis. Understand, teach, and supervise a wide range of analysis techniques to help organisations create and learn from strategic insights. Apply innovative approaches to resolve problems.
Master's in Computer Science/similar field with 5+ years' experience in Data Scientist/similar role - or Bachelor's in Computer Science/similar field with 7+ years' experience in Data Scientist/similar role.
Nice-to-have skills and experience:
- Previous experience working within a defence or intelligence environment
- Previous experience working within a defensive cyber security environment