Posted on Mar 13, 2021 by Heathfield School
The IT Technician is a key member of the IT Systems department, which in total consists of this post, plus the Senior IT Technician and the Manager of IT Networks & Services. The IT Technician provides first-line support to staff and students, and assists other members of the team with maintenance and development projects. There may also be the opportunity to complete project work independently, as the postholder's skills and experience develops.
Three of our previous Technicians have subsequently gained full-time employment with us in the position of Senior IT Technician. Three have gained similar employment in other schools, one now provides support at a university, one works in IT recruitment, another in computer forensics, one gained employment with a defense contractor and one gained a PGCE en route to becoming an IT teacher. All testament to the quality of the learning environment we provide for our Technicians, and the strong relationships we build with them.
- Support staff and student PCs and laptops, provide application help as required and maintain in good repair
- Maintain staff and classroom equipment including Windows 10 desktops, laptops & tablets, interactive whiteboards, printers and scanners
- Maintain and order spare parts and supplies as necessary
- Assist with the maintenance of the network infrastructure - consisting of a mix of gigabit fibre and copper Ethernet, Wi-Fi access points, managed switches and routers
- Assist in maintaining Windows Server and Linux host and guest servers.
- Assist with writing and maintaining automation scripts for system administration work
- Assist with network security including Smoothwall firewall and content filtering and Windows Defender anti-virus software
- Assist with projects including expansion planning, migrations, deployments and upgrades
- Assist with the audiovisual and IT aspects of School events as required
- Salary range £18,000 - £21,000 (dependent on experience) per annum paid monthly in arrears
- Fixed-term contract from August 2021 to August 2022
- Shared accommodation including utilities and council tax at subsidized monthly rental cost of
- £290 per month (accommodation is five minutes walking distance from the School premises)
- Free lunch when on duty during term time
- Free refreshments (tea, coffee) available every day
- Free onsite parking
- Free use of sports facilities, exercise suite and swimming pool (during staff use hours)
- Additional overtime hours, when agreed in advance with the School, will be paid at hourly rate
- Contributory pension scheme (optional)
- 25 days' annual leave plus Bank Holidays
Mon - Fri: 08:30 to 18:00 (school term time)
Mon - Fri: 08:30 to 16:30 (non-term time)
- The occasional earlier Monday start (08:00) for Assemblies if required.
- The occasional requirement to support an event or production into the evening or on a weekend, without any rights to extra pay or alternative days off in-lieu
- One hour break time daily
- On call for emergency Residential boarding duty on a set evening as confirmed at the start of term.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£28k - £30k Annual
£25k - £35k Annual
£28k - £35k Annual
£25k - £30k Annual
£12k - £12k Annual
£15 - £15 Hourly
£25k - £30k Annual
£18k - £23k Annual
£23k - £30k Annual