Posted on Feb 26, 2021 by CV-Library
About this role
Engineering is a large multi-disciplined ‘professional services’ engineering practice. The team is organised in key customer focused capabilities which each have sub-capability areas comprising single or multiple engineering delivery projects. Our Engineering mantra is “Technical Excellence in Engineering” and we deliver some amazing technical capabilities for our customers which can only happen if we recruit, train and support our people.
As a technical specialist you’ll be working within a fast-paced, constantly evolving team that uses DevOps methodologies to deliver world class secure platforms that make a real difference to our customers. From operating systems, build automation, deployment, monitoring, data storage, virtualisation and in-life management and threat detection and remediation, you’ll be delivering the platforms that many of our programmes depend upon.
You’ll also be deeply involved in the full engineering delivery life-cycle, including working directly with customers to understand and capture requirements/user stories, through to integration, acceptance and customer sign off.
You'll have the following responsibilities
* Provide the technical direction for the build and delivery of world class secure platforms, through the creation of high and low level designs.
* Be hands on in the build and deployment of platforms, including the configuration of operating systems, provisioning virtualised environments, building storage solutions and carrying out network configuration.
* Use automation technologies as a standard part of platform build.
* Build and deploy monitoring and observability solutions on to developed platforms.
* Work directly with customers to understand and capture requirements/user stories, through to integration, acceptance and customer sign, ensuring delivered solutions align to customer expectations.
* Lead delivery teams by providing delivery management to ensure on time and high quality deliverables.
* Provide technical coaching and mentoring to more junior team members.
You'll have the following skills & experience
Due to the sensitive nature of our work, you will be required to gain and maintain high level government security clearance and be willing to undergo the initial enhanced screening. All job offers are conditional on these requirements. You will need to have UK residency for 9 out of the last 10 years and be a UK national. At least one of your parents is also required to be either a British citizen or hold citizenship/nationality.
* Experience of leading a team of technical professionals using using modern software development methodologies and tooling (e.g. Kanban, Lean or Agile using the Atlassian toolset and/or Gitlab).
* Automating the deployment and configuration management of Linux and/or Windows systems using Infrastructure-as-Code tools such as Ansible, Puppet and Terraform.
* Complex system integration experience using programming/scripting languages such as Python, Powershell and/or Bash.
* Experience utilising hybrid cloud/on premise virtualisation and container platforms (e.g VMware and/or Kubernetes).
* Experience in developing and maintaining continuous integration/continuous delivery pipelines using test tooling such as Molecule, Jenkins, Pester and Robot. (Preferred)
* Instrumenting networks and monitoring using observability platforms such as Elastic (NoSQL), Influx or Prometheus (TSDB) with experience dashboarding using tools such as Grafana or Kibana. (Preferred)
* Any experience with Windows Powershell, Desired State Configuration (DSC), Active Directory and Active Directory Certificate Services (PKI) ( Preferred)
* Core competencies: A highly self-motivated and confident thinker, able to lead and work as part of a team to deliver complex solutions.
* Leadership: We will require you to lead and manage a diverse and geographically disparate technical team.
* Problem Solving: In this role you will be required to solve the problems others cannot. A methodical approach to diagnosing and resolving issues with clear communication to both senior and junior members of the business is necessary.
* Technical Breadth: The tasks we undertake are normally at the intersection point of numerous technical disciplines. The most successful engineers are those who are able to move beyond their area of expertise into other technical domains (e.g. Software, Networking or Security).
* Continuous Learning: Today’s skills may not meet tomorrow’s challenges. In this role you will be expected to continually develop your skills and, with our support, ensure you remain technically relevant.
If this sounds like you then hit the apply button now. Alternatively, if you know of anyone who would be suitable for the role or need some more details then please contact me on the details below
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.
£50k - £60k Annual
£50k - £60k Annual
£35k - £45k Annual
£45k - £65k Annual