Senior Core Design Engineer
Posted on Feb 14, 2021 by Michael Bailey Associates - Eindhoven
For one of our biggest clients in the Oil & Gas industry we are looking for a Senior Core Design Engineer
Start: ASAP (max 1 months notice)
Location: South-Holland region
Duration: Minimum of 1 year
This role is part of the Connectivity Portfolio team and specific to the Core Connectivity portfolio of our client, where Data Center and Cloud Connectivity Services reside. The mission is to support projects with design engineering capabilities under the renewed model.
The senior design engineer is expected to be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) covering the application of telecommunications and network technology deployed across our clients Group. This covers all businesses, all location (offices, onshore plants, offshore plants, offices, trading floors, etc) and various types of projects including capital projects and IT projects.
The purpose of the design engineer role is to participate in projects and deliver the network designs and implementations required based on defined standards. The design engineer will be the key person in the project for all telecom and network elements.
- Typical Years of Experience: 12- 16 years - leading and executing Telecoms project delivery, Telecoms operations, or IT consultancy assignments to design, develop and deliver viable network and telecom solutions, preferably in Oil and Gas or similar industry with offshore experience preferred.
- A high degree of technical network knowledge on traditional (IP) networks and systems as well as telecom solutions such as Satellite, Optical/Radio links, Wireless Canopy, Mobile Radio (DMR/Tetra), Microwave, Fiber Optics, Marine and Aeronautical Radio, Sub-marine Fiber and Access Security/CCTV
- Minimum Education or Certification: Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Telecommunications or equivalent work experience
- Mastering the OSI Model, TCP/IP protocol suite (IP, ARP, ICMP, TCP, UDP, SMTP, FTP, TFTP)
- Mastering Layer-2 Switching, VLAN's and Access-list
- Mastering Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS), Voice Over IP (VoIP)
- Mastering IP Addressing and subnetting and routing concepts
- Switches: full configuration and VLAN setup on Cisco Switches
- Router: full configuration and monitoring of Cisco Routers including VLAN's
- Telecoms Industry knowledge with extensive experience in Networks and Telecommunications, Testing and Commissioning
- Knowledge of environmental and electrical safety in hazardous (IEC EX) that impact design of telecoms systems used in process plants; Upstream/Downstream IT infrastructure and telecom solutions eg Process Control/SCADA, Safety Critical Elements
- Project Delivery methodology for managing Capital Projects in Oil and Gas
- Consistently delivered results in a Matrix, global virtualized organization
- Experience in negotiation skills
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
- Proven experience in stakeholder and relationship management including external vendors
- Ability to translate technical requirements and specifications into easily understood business concepts and vice versa
- Cisco Router/switching/security certification, at minimum CCIE
- Experience working in a (partially) outsourced environment
- Python programming and app development skills for programmable networks
- Awareness of Agile and Scrum
- Project Management certification like PMP, PMI, Prince2
- Service Management processes (Support Models, Service Level Management, Contract Management and Supplier Management)
- Experience in network operations
- Collect all requirements needed to produce the design by working with the project manager and relevant stakeholders known the location and business designing
- Apply the standards defined to create a design with all relevant details
- Develop a deployment strategy together with the project manager and create an implementation plan which leads to a successful deployment of the produced design
- Knowledge sharing and drive continuous improvement across the community
For the services in scope:
- Collect and document requirements by specifying the needed functionality, all the non-functional requirements and all dependencies (eg cabling, construction or electrical work needed)
- Create a standards-based design produced and signed off with the design assurance team.
- Work with architecture & portfolio to update standards in specific cases
- Work with other designers to produce specific elements of the design requiring special knowledge
- Develop an implementation plan and testing strategy which is aligned with business readiness and IT delivery timelines
- Handover the design and implementation plan to the project manager and operations centre for deployment and operations
- Share knowledge obtained and learn from others as part of a natural team across architecture, portfolio, design, network engineers, operations and service management, amongst others.
- The position supports projects at business sites that are mostly located in global sites.
- Directly controls or indirectly influences:
Network projects with value up to $1 million
No direct reports but has responsibility to provide oversight of contract staff engaged to support project delivery.
- Manage complex interface structures across organizational and geographic boundaries.
- Ability to collaborate with project teams, telecom contractors/service providers (ISP), the Major Execution Contractors (FEED, EPC, EPCM, TSI etc.) and other contractors
Michael Bailey International is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.