Service Designer for Public Sector
Posted on Feb 3, 2021 by Methods Business and Digital Technology Limited
£35,000 to £55,000
Methods are recruiting for a Service Designer to join our Midlands Office on a permanent basis. Initially, you will be working on a major programme of work based in Coventry, although much of the work will be remote at first due to the pandemic.
Since our establishment in 1990, Methods has partnered with a range of central government departments and agencies to transform the way the public sector operates in the UK.
Our mission is to improve and safeguard public-facing services. We apply digital thinking to ensure the future of our public services is centred around our citizens.
Our human touch sets us apart from other consultancies, system integrators and software houses - we have a customer-centric value system whereby we focus on delivering what is right for our clients.
We passionately support our clients in the success of their projects while working collaboratively to share skill sets and solve problems. At Methods, we have fun while working hard; we are not afraid of making mistakes and learning from them.
Are you a natural problem solver, a gifted storyteller, and expert facilitator? A digital native with a passion for getting under the HOOD o complex problems and using design-thinking methods and techniques to make products and services better?
We are looking for Service Designers to work within our agile teams as the lynchpin that brings user research, business analysis, content design, and tech together. You'll work as part of multidisciplinary Embedded teams across all stages of the digital services life cycle (Discovery, Alpha, Beta, and Live) to design end-to-end products and services.
Day-to-day you will be responsible for working with user researchers, content designers, delivery managers, technical architects, and developers to design and build solutions based around user needs. Your job will include research and facilitation, problem solving, storytelling, sketching, prototyping, and visual design.
The post holder will be responsible for:
- Researching and mapping the current service from the perspective of the customer, the service delivery team, and the wider organisation
- Running workshops to solve problems, explore solutions, and formulate ideas
- Designing user journeys and other artefacts such as service blueprints
- Building prototypes to illustrate and test solutions and ideas
- Understanding, interpreting, and communicating client requirements
- Providing timely, accurate reporting
- Making sure that user needs are continuously assessed and brought into prototype development
- Building relationships with clients, and helping them learn new skills through mentoring and shadowing
Ideal candidates will demonstrate experience of:
- Iterating solutions based on user needs
- Working with agile methodologies
- The full UX design process from beginning to end
- Service design techniques eg blueprinting, future blueprinting, rapid ideation
- Engaging stakeholders at many levels - from front line workers to senior decision makers
- Presenting to senior stakeholders and influencing decision makers
- Planning and running workshops with stakeholders, end users and/or front line service providers
- Using metrics and user feedback to define/refine services
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience working in the Public Sector to GDS guidelines
- Ability to think and work strategically
- Ability to work effectively within multidisciplinary project teams.
- Be able to show why and how you did something - with an emphasis on data and evidence, not just focus on the end product
- Problem solving eg sketching/wire framing/prototyping/usability testing
- Be able to elicit, distil and visualise complex information so that it is easily understandable
- A team player who can work with others as part of a group to design shared solutions
- Great persuasive communicator able to influence decision making
- Able to work with clients to understand business requirements constraints, and underlying needs
- Ability to facilitate hard conversations and help align multiple stakeholder decision-making
- Expertise in using Sketch, Figma, Invision or other similar design and prototyping tools
- Understands technical requirements and knowledgeable about new and emerging technologies and basics around digital delivery platforms
Methods are passionate about its people; we want our colleagues to develop the things they are good at and enjoy.
By joining us you can expect
Autonomy to develop and grow your skills and experience
Be part of exciting project work that is making a difference in society
Strong, inspiring and thought-provoking leadership
A supportive and collaborative environment
As well as this, we offer:
Development access to LinkedIn Learning, a management development programme and training
Wellness 24/7 Confidential employee assistance programme
Social - office parties, pizza Friday and commitment to charitable causes
Time off 25 days a year
Pension Salary Exchange Scheme with 4% employer contribution and 5% employee contribution
Discretionary Company Bonus based on company and individual performance
Life Assurance of 4 times base salary
Private Medical Insurance
Worldwide Travel Insurance which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)