Infrastructure Ops Engineer
Posted on Feb 2, 2021 by Technology Transformation Group Limited
Technology Transformation Group is a new and dynamic IT Managed & Professional Services company with a talented team based across the UK. We have enthusiastically embraced flexible working arrangements and our culture lets each member of the team enjoy an excellent work-life balance.
We deliver large-scale transformational projects alongside our managed IT services provision and we're rapidly expanding our client base across the UK - mainly through referral which we think is a pretty good sign about the quality of our work.
We're now looking for an enthusiastic, knowledgeable InfraOps Engineer to join our team. The successful candidate will report into our Operations Director and work across our Services and Platforms portfolios, delivering a mix of proactive project work and reactive end-user support activities. Duties range from first-line customer support, through to second-line engineering and consulting projects.
On-premise Infrastructure Management
We do not maintain our own on-premise infrastructure, but frequently manage our customers' systems. The InfraOps engineer will be comfortable with managing, maintaining & supporting:
- Physical and virtual Windows Servers
- VMware/Hyper-V platforms
- Storage Area Networks
- Network Attached Storage Devices
- Wired & Wireless networking equipment
- Firewalls, Routers, Load-Balancers
Cloud infrastructure, platforms & services management:
The InfraOps engineer will manage, support and maintain the various cloud products that TTG uses for internal IT, as well as the environments we manage on behalf of our customers. The InfraOps engineer will have familiarity, knowledge and demonstrable hands-on experience of many of the following:
- Microsoft 365
- Microsoft Azure
- Modern Desktop Management (InTune etc)
- Mobile Device/Mobile Application Management
- Microsoft PowerShell
- Active Directory Domain Services/Azure AD/Azure ADDS
- Software Defined Wide Area Networks
- Performance & Capacity Management
- Common SaaS & PaaS products (primarily the Microsoft portfolio)
- Microsoft Defender cloud portfolio
- Datto Remote Monitoring & Management (RMM)
- Cloud Disaster Recovery & Backup services
1st line end user support
At TTG we love engaging with our customers. Whatever the ask, our InfraOps engineer will be happy managing 1st line incidents as well as service requests from our end users. A professional, friendly and patient attitude is essential for success in this role.
2nd line infrastructure engineering
Our InfraOps Engineer will be handling 2nd line requests, that require more in-depth investigation, skills or experience. Typical examples could be: management of synchronisation between on-premise Active Directory and Azure AD, identity federation issues, performance management of a Hyper-V cluster etc.
3rd line project delivery
Many of our customer engagements start with a transformation journey from Legacy infrastructure to modern cloud services. Our InfraOps engineer will be working on proactive project delivery work, for example: migration of on-premise email systems to the cloud, Azure Site Recovery implementations, on-premise Hyper-V to Azure migrations, implementation of modern managed desktops etc.
Other responsibilities include:
- Mentoring junior team members
- Systems documentation
- Process development
- Managing budgets and project commercials
Skills & Experience
- Microsoft Azure IaaS (Virtual Machines, vNets, Storage Accounts, Availability Zones, Regions, AADDS, Sizing, Migrations, Azure Site Recovery etc)
- Microsoft 365 (Office 365, Windows 10, Enterprise Mobility Suite)
- Windows Server (Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2016, 2019)
- Windows Desktops (Windows 7, Windows 10, Modern Desktop, MDM/MAM, Intune)
- Microsoft Teams (Teams, Microsoft Business Voice/Telephony solutions, SIP Trunks, Direct Routing/SBC etc)
- VDI, Remote Apps, Remote Desktops (Citrix XenApp, XenDesktop, Microsoft Remote Desktop/RemoteApp & associated technologies)
- Wired & wireless networking products (LAN Switches, topologies, logical IP Addressing, subnets, gateways, high availability, wireless access controllers etc)
- Firewalls & Routers (Physical & virtual Firewall technologies, Router configuration & management)
- Wide Area Network technologies (MPLS, Routing protocols, SD-WAN, VPN technologies etc)
- Desktop & Mobile Device hardware (Windows 10, Windows 7, Apple IOS, Android) Server hardware & storage (Wintel server hardware, iSCSI SAN, Fibre-channel SAN, NAS etc)
- Scripting, Development & Automation (Windows PowerShell)
Quality and trust are core to our service so we'd love to find someone who takes huge pride in the quality of their work and can easily build relationships and trust with our customers.
This role would be ideally suited to someone who likes to work on multiple projects in a fast-growing business and someone who is happy to pitch in and support other team members when needed. We're a friendly team and we don't take ourselves too seriously.