Proposal/Technical Writer, Perm, Richardson
Posted on Jan 29, 2021 by Electronic Transaction Consultants LLC
The Proposal/Technical Writer will be primarily responsible for developing proposal responses for our toll authority customers. This role drives the proposal document by coordinating with subject matter experts to obtain quality and timely content. The writer is the driving force behind gathering technical information from our SMEs, guiding SME contributors through an iterative content development and review process, and crafting RFP responses that transform dry technical information into effective sales documents. Job will require the ability to synthesize and write technical and sales content, build relationships to influence others, meet tight and numerous deadlines, and prioritize frequently changing workload. This candidate will be fiercely self-driven and able to independently identify tasks based on the documented proposal process and procurement schedules, as well as contribute to the supportive all hands on deck culture of the organization.
- Manages multiple proposal responses simultaneously as needed
- Collaborate with the Proposal Manager to create, develop, and manage the technical proposal response outline
- Assist in assembling artifacts and communicating win strategy for new procurement efforts by creating PowerPoint presentations and storyboards
- Reads, analyzes and interprets customer-specific RFPs to determine the best approach and presentation of the response
- Gathers necessary content from stakeholders, experts, and other contributors to comply with the requirements
- Ensures grammatical and technical accuracy of content submitted to customer
- Help Proposal Manager organize deliverables and other content into response templates. Prepare and/or edit response templates as assigned to include technical qualifications and requirements, experience tables, SLA and KPI conformance matrices, and other type response documents as required for production and delivery
- Oversee and move forward the technical proposal document from content development through page-turn
- Perform routine quality and compliance reviews of technical proposal documents to ensure 100% compliance with RFP requirements and compelling responses
- Review, edit and/or write/rewrite content from, and in coordination with, cross-functional teams, focusing on accuracy, readability, sufficient detail, and brevity
- Apply proposal-level domain knowledge of relevant technologies to write basic content for further development by SMEs
- Partner with the engineering and delivery/operations business units to produce high-quality RFP responses. Follow up on open issues and action items to ensure a resolution has been achieved
- Apply proposal-level domain knowledge of relevant technologies to identify gaps in information received and assign questions to SMEs, decision-makers and/or partners as required
- Help Proposal Manager administer the production of the proposal
- Format and edit final proposal response for clarity, compliance and content
- Print, assemble and ship proposal response per ETC and RFP process/deadlines
- Help create, review and revise repository of proposal tools, including RFP documents, previous responses, response templates, conformance matrices, storyboards, and a library of graphics and key charts
- Work with cross-functional teams to evaluate previous proposals to save the best content for future proposal responses
- Work with BD to assist with external environmental research to understand the current and future customers, as well as ETC's competitive landscape, as follows:
- Help build and maintain detailed profiles on current and future competitors using various Internet research methods, interviewing employees with industry experience and surveying current or future customers
- Help build and maintain detailed profiles on current and future customers using various methods of research to include Internet sources, interviewing employees with industry experience, direct contact and other industry-related sources of information
- Analyze FOIA requests, pulling out detailed information from competitors' winning responses, such as competitor pricing and technology, customer notes and preferences, content stylings and descriptions, and visuals and methods of response
- Participates in weekly departmental meetings
- No formal supervisory responsibility but may assign, prioritize and review the work of peers and cross-functional teams
- Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in Technical Writing, English or related
- 2-3 years of experience writing proposals and/or technical and end-user documentation
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate technical aptitude and ability to synthesize technical information, in order to read and analyze RFPs and transform the expressed requirements into polished, compelling sales documents. This includes:
- Ability to develop outlines and ensure that proposals comply with customer requirements
- Ability to write, edit, and format technical documents with confidence
- Demonstrates high level of expertise with MS Word and proficiency in SharePoint, including understanding and application of styles and version control best practices.
- Candidates should be proficient with other MS Office products, such as PowerPoint, Visio and Excel, as well as Adobe Acrobat Pro. Familiarity with graphics and editing tools is an asset.
- Some background with transportation technology solutions and systems a plus. Preference will be given to those with Tolling or ITS industry experience
- Experience working and delivering to the SDLC process
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Electronic Transaction Consultants provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment, promotions, and transfers without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristics in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.