Posted on Jan 21, 2021 by Open University
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
£33.8k - £33.8k Annual
Help our students fulfil their aspiration
Due to continued success and increasing student numbers, we are expanding our talented team, whose role is to provide student-centred information, advice, guidance and support, mostly by phone and email, so that we can continue to provide an exceptional and responsive service. We are hugely passionate about what we do and are looking for likeminded individuals with dynamism and energy who genuinely care about our students and their journey with us, and who can work in a fast-paced environment which is focussed on continuous improvement.
We are currently looking to recruit an Educational Advisor to work within Student Recruitment and Support Scotland. This role focuses on providing guidance and complex educational support to students and prospective students. The work will mostly be undertaken by telephone, email and other online media. You will be expected to take on a specialist role for particular aspects of University policy and/or student support, as well as lead on a particular curriculum area. You will also be expected to contribute to the development of other staff delivering IAG and will be involved in liaising with internal teams and/or external organisations in order to ensure that students are provided with appropriate support.
Skills and experience
• Able to communicate effectively, with empathy, by phone and in writing
• Commitment to providing a first-class service to students
• Competent user of Microsoft Office packages (plus bespoke University customer relationship management systems)
• Educated to degree level (or equivalent)
• Experience of providing Information, Advice and Guidance to a range of diverse groups but preferably students in adult, further or higher education
• Experience of working positively and effectively with others
• Able to receive and process information quickly and accurately under time pressure
• Well-developed skills in organising self (tasks, priorities and time)
• Knowledge of, and commitment to, equality and diversity
The full summary of duties and person specification can be found within the Job-Related Information here.
What you get in return
We have a strong commitment to providing training and development in and beyond your current role.?This includes thorough induction into the organisation and regular reviews of your training and development needs.
We also offer a great range of benefits that support our employees and their families for the long term.?Benefits include?an attractive pension proposition and 30/33 days holiday per annum pro rata, plus Bank Holidays and Christmas closure days.
How to apply
All applications are completed online via the OU Job's page by registering and clicking the "APPLY NOW" link. Applications submitted via 3rd party websites will not be considered.
Access details for disabled applicants are available from the Open University in Scotland by emailing , quoting the vacancy reference above
To apply for this role please submit the following:-
• A personal statement that clearly identifies how you meet the criteria in the person specification. Please ensure that you provide relevant examples as evidence to support your statements. The selection panel will consider how well the information you provide demonstrates that you meet the criteria identified in the person specification.
To ensure that your file is uploaded to our system correctly, please make sure your document is saved with the following file name as appropriate to the vacancy you are applying for: 'Educational Advisor', surname, first initial.
Remember to attach your CV and Personal statement as ONE DOCUMENT.
You will receive updates regarding your application from . Please ensure this email address is added to your list of trusted senders. Please also keep an eye on your junk folder to ensure you do not miss any important updates regarding this role.
You can view your application communications on the Candidate portal.
If you have any queries relating to the recruitment process, please email quoting the vacancy reference number.
Want to make a real difference in helping people achieve their dreams? Please email , if you would like to arrange an informal discussion prior to applying.
Please note: If you have not heard from us within two weeks of the application closing date, please assume that on this occasion you have not been selected for interview, however we thank you for your interest in The Open University and encourage you to apply for future positions.
Find out more about us and our mission by watching this short video (you will be taken to YouTube by clicking this link).
We value diversity and we recognise that different people bring different perspectives, ideas, knowledge and culture, and that this difference brings great strength. Applications from candidates with protected characteristics are welcomed.