Software Engineer - Cambridge - £35,000 - £60,000 DOE
Posted on Jan 21, 2021 by The Select Group
Software Engineer - Production Software
Our client is a world-class medical devices company. They are an exciting and evolving company to be joining right now. Their growth is underpinned by the ground-breaking innovation of the next generation of surgical robots and a diverse team of talented and supportive individuals.
Their values are to be people focused, ambitious, humble and fair and responsible. If you share these values, a passion for improving lives, and have the desire to make a real difference to the way minimal access surgery is developed and delivered, then it is a great time to join them.
The Production Software team is responsible for all embedded software in the surgical robot and provides software expertise to other technologists within the company.
Our client is seeking a bright, ambitious engineer to join their growing production software team. You will create, analyse and develop new robotic technology that will be used in minimally invasive surgery to make the lives of millions of people better each year.
In this role, our client is looking for someone who can:
- Make specific contributions and manage tasks as part of a multi-disciplinary product development team
- Architect and code software which is suitable for use in an invasive medical device and is compliant with the relevant medical device standards
- Follow best practice for software development
- Develop and implement creative solutions based on different technologies and key requirements
- Write complex technical design documentation and test protocols
- Collaborate with electronics & mechanical engineers to understand software requirements
The role may change and evolve due to the rapid growth the company is undergoing. You will be expected to be willing to turn your hand to anything within the software remit that helps the team deliver its objectives.
You will have a 2.1 or above in a computer science degree, relevant engineering, mathematics, or science discipline, and can combine this with a few years' experience in software product development. You will be able to demonstrate strong software development skills and be the kind of person who is determined to develop software to the highest standards within agreed timescales.
Required Skills and Experience
- Excellent problem-solving skills demonstrated throughout the design process
- Knowledge of software development best practices and designing software for testability
- Good communication skills
- Passion for software craftmanship and drive to continually learn new skills
- 3 to 8 years experience
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Developing real time embedded systems in C using both bare metal and RTOS architectures
- Exposure to software development for high reliability systems (E.g. IEC 62304, IEC 61508, ISO 26262)
- Experience of working with Agile development methodologies
- Experience of working to specific coding standards for safety, such as MISRA C
- Development of software with unit tests for regression testing
- Experience of working with continuous integration systems for automated build and testing
- Familiarity with a scripting language (e.g. Python)
- Comfortable reading electronics schematics and debugging software on target hardware
- Developing software and algorithms for robotic technologies
Our client offers a competitive salary and a great benefits package (including non-contributory pension scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, life assurance, and their infamous monthly BBQs). On top of that, you will be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, with a commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.