Senior Human Factors Engineer - Cambridge - £40k - £60k DOE
Posted on Jan 21, 2021 by The Select Group
Senior Human Factors Engineer
Our client is a world-class medical devices company. They are an exciting and evolving company to be joining right now. Their growth is underpinned by the ground-breaking innovation of the next generation of surgical robots and a diverse team of talented and supportive individuals.
Their values are to be people focused, ambitious, humble and fair and responsible. If you share these values, a passion for improving lives, and have the desire to make a real difference to the way minimal access surgery is developed and delivered, then it is a great time to join them.
Our client has a fantastic role available for an experienced and innovative Senior Human Factors Engineer to join their team in Cambridge, UK. This is a unique opportunity to help shape their state-of-the-art surgical robotics system by working closely with both a world-class team of engineers and with the surgeons, nurses and healthcare professions that will be using it.
- Leading the human factors engineering efforts in the research and development team
- Help to ensure the robot meets the needs of the Surgeons, Nurses and Healthcare Professionals who will work with it
- Lower the risk to patients associated with user errors and misuse
- Engineer subsystems and interfaces to improve user experience whilst at the same time considering the cost and manufacturability of the design
- Lead the planning, moderating and analysing of risk and opportunities
- Lead the planning, moderating and reporting of formative and summative usability studies
- Help mentor, teach and grow colleagues
The role may change and evolve due to the rapid growth the company is undergoing. You will be expected to be willing to turn your hand to anything within the usability remit that helps the team deliver its objectives.
To join this world-class team, you will be an excellent team-player, comfortable working in a non-hierarchical environment, enthusiastic and just as keen as our client are to produce a world-class medical product. Specific skills and attributes they are looking for include:
- Previous significant experience in working as part of a development team to meet human factors and usability objectives in a dynamic, challenging and exciting environment
- Strong interpersonal skills across a diverse range of engineering, clinical and business disciplines
- Articulate; to ensure the company excels, you will need to be a strong communicator (whether that is in what you say or what you write) with excellent attention to detail
- Not only will you be comfortable observing and interviewing people in clinical situations, you will also be great at putting them at ease
- A proven ability to synthesise a lot of information and distil it into meaningful actions
- A track record of consistently producing valuable, well-written, deliverables containing solid and actionable recommendations
5+ years relevant experience
It would be great if you had some or all the following hands-on experience:
- Applying human factors methodologies for EU, ISO & FDA regulated medical devices
- The pragmatic application of IEC 62366 and HE-75 in the development of medical devices
Our client offers a competitive salary and a great benefits package (including non-contributory pension scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, life assurance, and their infamous monthly BBQs). On top of that, you will be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, with a commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.