Posted on Jan 5, 2021 by The Select Group
Software Engineer (Python)
Our client is a world-class medical devices company. They are an exciting and evolving company to be joining right now. Their growth is underpinned by the ground-breaking innovation of the next generation of surgical robots and a diverse team of talented and supportive individuals.
Their values are to be people focused, ambitious, humble and fair and responsible. If you share these values, a passion for improving lives, and have the desire to make a real difference to the way minimal access surgery is developed and delivered, then it is a great time to join them.
The Production Software team is responsible for all embedded software in the surgical robot and provides software expertise to other technologists at the company.
Our client is looking for highly capable, enthusiastic Python developers to join their growing team in Cambridge. You will be taking a pivotal role in producing Python-based software to support development of their minimally invasive surgical robotic system.
In this role, they are looking for someone who can:
- Develop maintainable and robust software (primarily Python) following best practices
- Work in a multi-disciplinary environment with embedded software, electronic, mechanical and manufacturing engineers
- Enthusiastically engage with users to create great products that meet key engineering requirements
- Deliver project tasks within agreed time-scales and budget
- Write clear and concise technical documentation
- Continuously improve existing applications
The role may change and evolve due to the rapid growth the company is undergoing. You will be expected to be willing to turn your hand to anything within the software remit that helps the team deliver its objectives.
You will have a 2.1 or above in a STEM degree subject and be able to demonstrate strong Python software development skills developed through professional experience. You are the kind of person who has a passion for high quality software, a drive to continually learn new skills and a determination to deliver great software within agreed timescales.
• Strong Python development skills
• Experience with C
• Experience of the full software lifecycle
• Experience with Agile development methodologies
• Experience of automated testing and continuous integration
• Excellent problem-solving ability
• Good communication skills
• A desire to help and support your fellow team members
• Motivated to improve outcomes for patients
• Knowledge of standard network protocols
• Experience of GUI application development
• Experience of data acquisition and analysis
• Experience interfacing with electronics
• Understanding of linear algebra
• Understanding of rotational dynamics - e.g. gear ratios and torque
• Knowledge of safety critical software development and working to international standard
3 to 8 years relevant experience
Our client offers a competitive salary and a great benefits package (including non-contributory pension scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, life assurance, and their infamous monthly BBQs). On top of that, you will be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, with a commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.