Development Manager - Grid Scale Battery Storage
Posted on Jan 1, 2021 by Igloo3
Development Manager - Grid Scale Battery Storage, salary range negotiable to 65,000 + attractive bonus. London UK.
This is a great opportunity for a commercially & technically astute project development professional with experience in the grid scale battery storage market to join a heavily invested, fast growing network & infrastructure business.
The company is an investment / development firm formed by experienced partners and backed by substantial international investors with an outstanding pedigree in the financing and development of energy generation projects.
They have established themselves as a UK market leader in battery storage, with a substantial portfolio of operational grid-scale batteries and are also a leading firm in the financing and provision of turnkey solutions for electric vehicle fleets.
The firm is small but dynamic, very fast paced and growing.
You will bring a good understanding of UK transmission and distribution networks, have a proven experience of working with relevant stakeholders, and have the capability and credibility to develop projects.
Working with the Directors and other members of the BD team, you'll be able to manage the day to day aspects of the project development process from origination to developed sites and project acquisitions.
The role integrates with team members in legal, engineering and construction to put together complex, high-value project sites and agreements.
The role includes liaising with National Grid ESO, DNOs, TOs, landowners and agents, planning consultants and local stakeholders.
You'll need to hit the ground running and to be comfortable operating at a rapid pace at times with high levels of ambiguity and the pressure of deadlines.
* Leading origination and working on the development of transmission and distribution level large scale energy storage projects
* Leading origination and developing battery propositions to other major infrastructure sectors (rail, ports, airports) to build solutions which can be scaled across one or more networks
* Developing compelling sites and managing the relationships throughout the development stage
* Identifying and securing strategic grid connections in line with the business strategy
* Managing land agents to secure attractive land deals nearby key connection points
* Managing and supporting the planning consultants to secure planning consents for key sites
* Identifying and evaluating greenfield or brownfield fully developed project opportunities and managing the acquisition process
* Understanding the impact of regulatory requirements and various applications on each project's and client's business case
* Preparing high quality internal InvestCom papers for project development and acquisition opportunities
* Supporting the closure of deals
* Supporting day-to-day activities of project management until the construction stage after the closure of the deals
* Contributing to the strategy process - including identifying opportunities in other target markets (e.g. Europe/US)
* High quality education (bachelor's degree or masters)
* Solid work experience (3-7 years) in commercial / project development in the energy sector (B2B) preferably in energy storage or renewables sectors
* Strong commercial skills - comfortable with legal contracts and negotiations
* Excellent communication skills, capable of presenting project development opportunities
* Strong organisation skills, team player and good attention to detail
* Fluent in PowerPoint and Excel
* Good understand of project finance requirements
* Knowledge of the UK energy landscape and network
* Ability to work in the HQ in London and travel UK wide and internationally
* Desire to work in a fast moving, high pressure and entrepreneurial environment
* Knowledge of the US and Australia energy markets
A competitive remuneration package is available, based on quality and range of experience c. 45,000 - 65,000 + bonus. Very good opportunity for personal growth and responsibility