Senior Specialist, Network Engineering
Posted on Dec 9, 2020 by Colt Technology Services
Senior Specialist, Network Engineering
Colt provides network, voice and data centre services to thousands of businesses around the world, allowing them to focus on delivering their business goals instead of the underlying infrastructure.
The Role and Accountabilities
- Design and develop service provider network infrastructure to support growth of services portfolio for example IP/MPLS VPN, NFV / SD-WAN based services, Internet access, Metro Ethernet and voice services
- Lead and deliver technical development lifecycle activities - design activities, type approval testing, deployment & documentation not excluding early life support on an as need basis.
- Function as technical, engineering and operational subject matter expert for complex networking systems for partner teams, and customers.
- Leverage evolving network automation technologies such as Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Function Virtualization (NFV) to improve efficiency and lower costs for infrastructure and solutions.
- Evaluation of new network products for introduction within the service provider network infrastructure and services portfolio.
- Testing requirements definition and network solutions testing not excluding test build setups, product /appliance features, system capabilities and integration.
- Provide all the required documentation, system diagrams, provisioning and troubleshooting guides Maintain and update the engineering technical libraries, engineering documentation & release management artefacts.
- Liaison and handover solutions to Service Delivery and Service operations - NOC, TAC & Capacity planning
- Actively participate and represent Colt in technical forums, events, standards organizations etc.
- Interfaces with supplier / vendors in hardware and software roadmaps to accommodate Colt's technology needs in vendor's future development.
- Support network operations and delivery teams on vendor escalation related to design & product features.
- Provide transfer of knowledge sessions / trainings to Learning & development teams & stakeholder teams.
- Supports and delivers development of network improvements and drives continual improvement programmes.
What you will need to succeed
- Knowledge and experience in a telco service provider or large scale content / internet industry or managed IT/network services related industry.
- Excellent understanding and practical hand on experience of IP routing, MPLS technology protocols - OSPF/ISIS, BGP, MPLS, L3VPN and L2 VPN services.
- Excellent understanding of network function virtualisation (NFV) and Software Defined Networking (SDN) technologies including hands on experience of deploying network functions over virtualisation technologies - KVM / VMWare and network automation.
- Excellent understanding of network switching deployments and functions - VLANs, dot1q, QinQ , STP protocols and evolving DC overlay technologies.
- Hands on experience of major service provider routing and switching platforms from Cisco, Juniper , Alcatel Lucent , Arista etc.
- Strong methodical engineering discipline & ability to excel in a fast paced network service provider environment which involves network and system design, testing, implementation, configuration, documentation and support.
- Experience in testing and validation of network hardware, feature, functions and design including hands on one of testing tools such as Spirent/Agilent/Ixia
- Strong team player able to lead small teams of senior architects/engineers, drive projects and activities.
- Good presenter and inter-personal skills (C-level, customer meetings, vendor management, speaking at conferences, publishing thought leadership, active participation to SDOs and other industry forums)
- Excellent analytical skills, coupled with a strong sense of ownership, urgency and drive.
- Ability to travel regional and long-haul as required (on average once every two month)
- Must be fluent in English (technical and non-technical), another European language is welcome
- Good exposure to automation for network environments with programming experience with Python or Perl , APIs.
- Experience and sound knowledge on systems - orchestration technologies - Open stack, ETSI/MANO, Lifecycle Service Orchestration, Systems Administration, data modelling - YANG, TOSCA etc
- Graduate in Engineering - Computers / Electronics / Communication or related field, or Graduate / Post Graduate in Science / Maths / IT or related streams with relevant technology experience.
- Cisco, Juniper and other industry known certifications will be an advantage.
What we offer
Colt is a growing business that is investing in its people. We offer skill development, learning pathways and accreditation to help our people perform at their best, regardless of role and location. In addition to offering competitive salaries and incentive plans, a range of benefits and local rewards packages are offered to staff. Colt recognises the importance of a work life balance.
Some benefit examples are:
- Flexible working and relaxed dress code
- Two days annually to spend on volunteering opportunities
- Pension and insurance options
- Access to a virtual business school for on-going learning
- Business mentoring
- Discounts with local hospitality and retail providers
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We are committed to making Colt an inclusive and supportive workplace.