Data and SQL Developer
Posted on Nov 9, 2020 by Activist Insight
Data and SQL Developer
We are looking for a recent graduate or logical individual who can join our ICT team in Dartford. We are looking for someone who can take responsibility for the ad-hoc tasks which come up in the day to day running of the business around the large data sets that we hold. Once fully trained, and with a full grasp of the database, there would be availability for a slightly different focus as we start to investigate machine learning. You would be a key link between the data team and development team, learning about the data sets that we hold, how they are stored in the database and how best to link and extract the data. No previous knowledge is required about shareholder activism or proxy voting as training will be given, but the individual must have a strong logical mindset with a strong eye for detail. The position offers great opportunities to develop quickly within a growing business.
Financial news and data providers Activist Insight and Proxy Insight announced in October 2020 that they had merged to form Insightia, a leader in the field of public company information. Activist Insight was formed in 2012 and offers an extensive range of products including Activist Insight, Online, Activist Insight Governance, Activist Insight Vulnerability, Activist Insight Shorts, Activist Insight Monthly magazine, and The Activist Insight Podcast. Proxy Insight has quickly become the world's leading source of information on global shareholder voting, covering such hot topics as director and auditor elections, "say on pay" resolutions and environmental, social, and governance (ESG) proposals.
What kind of person are we looking for?
It is a busy environment where requirements change daily, and we would be looking for someone who is excited by the fast pace and able to work in a dynamic environment. Logical problem solving is a key attribute along with the confidence to ask questions when required. Attention to detail is key, and we would be looking for someone with a keen eye to ensure the data collected by our analysts is represented correctly on the website. We would be keen to employ someone with the right mindset over current technical knowledge as we are happy to provide training on the job, but this mindset should be evidenced on any CV or cover letter. Our ICT team are primarily based in our Dartford, Kent office but working from our Heathfield, East Sussex is an option. The successful candidate would be initially working from home and training will be remote.
- Understand how the database relates to the data points required
- Extract data from the database for internal and external clients in appropriate ways
- Assist with the design of new areas of our website by creating stored procedures/views etc. with appropriate data
- Resolve SQL data bugs found in code
- Assist with database design to ensure efficiencies
- Work with the ICT Operations and Data Manager to develop facilities to help the research teams gather data more efficiently
- Keep up-to-date on the latest database technologies
The role requires the following specific skills:
- A strong understanding of data analytical skills evidenced by previous projects
- A passion to work with data
- Some understanding of SQL Server or relational databases would be ideal but not required as we will provide appropriate training.
- A methodical and logical approach to problem solving
- The ability to work successfully within a team
- Good interpersonal skills to interact with the rest of the team