Principal - Data Platform Product Owner
Posted on Nov 5, 2020 by The Pensions Regulator
TPR is responsible for protecting workplace pensions in the UK, working with employers and those running pensions to help people save safely for their retirement. We have an excellent office location in the heart of Brighton and have a diverse, lively and professional growing workforce.
We are committed to making TPR a great place to work and doing all we can to support our people to reach their full potential. Join our expanding team for the chance to be a part of the biggest change to pensions in a generation.
The Pensions Regulator in Brighton requires a delivery focused manager to establish and lead a data engineering function on a newly implemented Azure data technology. The platform is one of the outputs of a recent investment working alongside a Microsoft Gold partner to modernise existing technology and invest in state of the art data and analytical capabilities. The data engineering team will be responsible for its ongoing management and derived business value after the initial project delivery.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a dynamic leader who's comfortable working with both senior business stakeholders and technical data teams. This role is technically 'hands-off', however the successful candidate will need to be very comfortable with translating technical requirements as well as being the spokesperson for the technical team, so an understanding of the technology and proficiency is navigating Data, BI and Analytics is essential.
They will have the opportunity to work closely with our partner data experts implementing the technology over the next 12 months and are expected to use this opportunity to be proactive in identifying and implementing the new processes and ways of working required for the newly forming team.
They will collaborate and communicate across the business on relevant projects, assess and prioritise requirements, manage day to day resources, make decisions on risks and issues resolving any conflicts that arise. They will present and deliver impactful products back to the analytical functions across the business and ensure business benefits are achieved.
- Be the leader and business facing side for the data platform/engineering team
- Work closely with the Lead Data Engineer to recruit and onboard the key resources into the team
- Work with IT deployment and service delivery on the processes and mechanisms for handover from project into this team over the next 12 months
- Develop the processes and ways of working required to establish a data engineering function
- Be accountable for the execution of the plans and product backlogs and, in turn, for the delivery of the minimum viable product to the agreed definition of done and delivery of the defined business benefits.
- Responsible for the allocation of work to team members and directing team members.
- Responsible for risk, issue and dependency management
- Responsible for working with the lead engineer to ensure data governance and compliance is adhered to
- Line management responsibilities
Essential and Desirable Criteria
- Strong experience in a management role within Data, Analytics or BI
- Experience of developing new processes and ways of working within a technical team, ideally Data Engineering, Analytics, BI or Data Science
- Experience of product management with a delivery focus on impactful dashboards/models/reports, ideally in an agile environment
- Effective cross functional team management;
- Strong business analysis and requirements evaluation skills
- Excellent presenter and communicator to variety of audiences
- Knowledge of data platform technologies ideally Azure
- Knowledge of Power BI and ideally Data Science tooling
- Desirable, experience of standing up a new product from project into a continuous improvement setting
- Leadership skills
- Proactive and flexible
- Ability to prioritise and use initiative
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Communication skills at all levels
Salary and benefits
As well as a starting salary of between £53,777-£71,387 we offer:
- Civil Service Pension arrangements, which are recognised as some of the best in the pensions world
- discretionary bonus arrangements
- access to performance related pay progression
- 25 days annual leave provision
- flexible working arrangements
- development opportunities
- enhanced parental leave arrangements
- a free employee assistance programme
How to apply
We provide an exciting, supportive and flexible working environment, and are committed to helping our people meet their full potential.
The Pensions Regulator is an inclusive employer and offers equal opportunities to all regardless of an individual's age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. TPR welcomes applications from the BME and LGBT communities who are currently under represented at TPR.
Candidates who declare that they have a disability and who meet the essential criteria for the job will be offered an interview.
Applications will be considered on a part time and job share basis.
Please send your CV by clicking the APPLY button along with a covering letter ,quoting ref 57402 with details of how your experience and skills meet our essential criteria and details of your notice period.
Please be aware we are currently holding interviews through Skype due to COVID-19.
If you have any enquiries with regards to this role or if you have a disability and wish to request a reasonable adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process please do let us know.
Contract: 12 months maternity cover
Closing date: 19 November 2020
Interviews : Week commencing 23 November 2020