Mechanical & Electrical Engineer
Posted on Oct 30, 2020 by Water Management Alliance
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
£30k - £35k Annual
SOUTH HOLLAND INTERNAL DRAINAGE BOARD & KING'S LYNN INTERNAL DRAINAGE BOARD
POSITION: Mechanical & Electrical Engineer
SALARY: Between £30k-£35k depending on experience
Due to retirement, a rare and exciting opportunity has arisen to join the team at South Holland Internal Drainage Board and Kings Lynn Internal Drainage Board. The job will be based in Holbeach, South Lincolnshire, at the South Holland Internal Drainage Board Depot, although travel across the districts of the South Holland and Kings Lynn IDBs will be required. The Boards are responsible for the surface water level management for land drainage, flood risk reduction and water re-use over a combined area of some 74,000 hectares of South Lincolnshire and Norfolk.
KEY PURPOSE OF JOB
The key purpose of this job is to maintain the Board's water control assets, including:
• fixed electric pumping plant and associated electrical control gear and equipment
• weedscreen cleaners
• mobile generator
• telemetry system
including regular inspections, testing and record keeping, responding to pump breakdowns and undertaking fault finding and repairs, as well as general electrical maintenance of the office, depot, and pumping station buildings.
Also to assist with the electrical aspects of pumping station refurbishments, including assisting and supervising electrical contractors on capital works, arranging the setup of temporary over pumping etc. Arranging the removal / re-installation of fixed pumps for servicing and repairs, liaising with the servicing contractors, arranging craneage etc.
All this to be done in a safe, timely and cost effective manner, as instructed by the Operations Managers for South Holland IDB. A company vehicle will be provided for the purpose of the Board's work only. Although based at the South Holland IDB depot in Holbeach, the work will cover both the South Holland IDB district and the King's Lynn IDB district and travel across both of these areas will be required.
The job will be mainly based on site, within the South Holland or Kings Lynn IDB districts, although some office time will be required for record keeping etc.
The Mechanical & Electrical Engineer will report to the Board's Foreman and Operations Manager.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The Mechanical & Electrical Engineer is responsible to the Board for:-
1. Organising the maintenance of all the Board's fixed plant (including switchgear and telemetry), water level control structures, sluices, flap valves, workshop equipment and sundry tools etc, in accordance with the Asset Management Plan as instructed by the Operations Manager.
2. Recording and inspecting the condition of all the Board's fixed plant (including switchgear and telemetry) water level control structures, sluices, flap valves, workshop equipment and sundry tools etc as and when required by the Operations Manager.
3. To ensure that the Operations Managers is at all times kept informed of issues that relate to the smooth and efficient running of the Board's Plant/Equipment.
4. Achieving targets as set from time to time by the Operations Managers and undertaking any other duties as may reasonably be required.
5. Responding to emergencies and other out of hours and unplanned work in accordance with the Board's Emergency procedures, as and when required by the Operations Managers.
6. Supervising and managing specific projects in the field, as determined from time to time by the Operations Managers.
7. Operating the Board's telemetry system, as and when required by the Operation Managers.
8. Attending meetings and assisting the Operations Managers in preparing Plant/Pumping Stations and Sluice Reports, as and when required by the Operations Managers.
9. Ensuring that the operatives and/or contractors strictly comply with the Board's Environmental and Health and Safety Polices/Risk Assessments when supervising others.
10. Carrying out any other duties that may be required from time to time, as instructed.
KEY SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Must be able to demonstrate sound interpersonal and communication skills and be diplomatic.
2. Must hold relevant Mechanical & Electrical qualifications.
3. Must have some knowledge of Health and Safety and managing contractors, or be prepared to be trained in this regard.
4. Must have good diagnostic and fault finding skills.
5. Must be able to understand wiring diagrams, schematics etc.
6. Must be able to demonstrate an ability to manage projects and plant replacement/maintenance programmes.
7. Must have a full clean driving licence.
8. Must hold a valid residency and be able to live and work in the UK.
9. Must be a team player and able to work with others both internally and externally to resolve problems.
10. Must be willing to work out of hours on a roster with other operatives of the Drainage Board and their contractors.
11. Must be able to work to a budget and have job pricing experience.
12. Must be an ethical, innovative, creative and entrepreneurial individual with a proven ability to improvise, adapt and overcome problems.
13. Desirable to have knowledge of Drainage/Water Level Pumping Plant, Mobile Plant, Machinery and Equipment.
14. Desirable to have mechanical/electrical knowledge of Drainage/Water Level Pumping Plant, Telemetry Systems, Mobile Plant, Machinery and Equipment.
15. Desirable to have knowledge of the various capital and maintenance operations undertaken by the Board.
16. Desirable to have knowledge of the Board's Assets and Drainage/Water Level Management Infrastructure.
17. Desirable to be able to use at a basic level office software such as Microsoft Outlook, Access, Excel and Word, and the Internet.
TO APPLY PLEASE EMAIL YOUR CV TO -
CLOSING DATE - 20TH NOVEMBER 2020