Cognizant System Engineer
Posted on Oct 24, 2020 by Request Technology
A prestigious company is on the search for a Cognizant System Engineer. The project will last through 2023 and will be onsite immediately. Resource must be willing to work rotating shifts days and nights, weekends, 12 hour shifts 4 days on 3 days off 10% shift differential. Candidate must be able to acquire and maintain a security clearance required for this position according to Army Regulation 50-6 (Chemical Surety). The CSE is to provide technical expertise and direction to ensure the safe, efficient, and reliable performance of plant systems and components within design and environmental requirements, applicable codes and standards, approved procedures and policy.
- Understand system design and operation, including conformance to environmental, safety, and health requirements.
- Maintain technical baseline, system design documents, and supporting documents using formal change control and work control processes.
- Perform engineered equivalency analysis.
- Demonstrate understanding of site processes to complete work.
- Lead resolution of design issues to support plant operations/maintenance.
- Support system safety and other safety responsibilities.
- Understand permit requirements and facilitate compliance.
- Support permit modifications.
- Understand and implement quality requirements.
- Maintain overall cognizance of the system and be responsible for system engineering support for operations and maintenance.
- Monitor, track, and trend assigned systems.
- Conduct investigations of upset conditions and troubleshoot issues.
- Recommend improvements to existing system operations.
- Analyze equipment requirements and assist in requisition of specialized tools and equipment.
- Support development and updating of Standing Operating Procedures (SOPs) and facility/system related documents.
- Maintain and review daily logs and assist to resolve issues.
- Evaluate production activities and prepare reports for activities and inspect associated plant equipment.
- Remain cognizant of system maintenance/operating history, industry operating experience, and manufacturer and vendor recommendations and product warnings.
- Provide technical and training support to Operations.
- Provide technical support to Maintenance, including:
- Develop/review purchase requisitions for replacement and spare parts. Assist in planning critical, unusual, or major maintenance activities.
- Develop Preventative Maintenance (PMs) and job plans.
- Recommend changes in maintenance procedures based upon engineering evaluations of the trends observed.
- Review calibration procedures and records
- Conduct long-range preparation and planning for future campaigns, and review identified campaigns for schedule improvements.
- Support subcontracted modifications and/or maintenance work, which includes:
- Generating scope of work (SOW).
- Attending pre-bid meetings and job-site visits and answering bidder questions;
- Reviewing/approving submittals/material from subcontractor for accuracy. Interfacing with the subcontractor to ensure work is properly completed.
- Complete required training, required reading, and maintain qualifications associated with assignments
- Demonstrate detailed system-specific knowledge including key technical requirements, design basis information, and system interfaces, and demonstrate an understanding of specific Safety and Regulatory assumptions/implications for operation of the system.
- Specialized Knowledge:
- Field experience in supporting an industrial plant.
- Knowledge of typical industry electrical, instrumentation, and mechanical equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings/documents (eg P&IDs, single-lines, logics)
- Equipment/system troubleshooting skills
- Knowledge of industry and regulatory guides, codes, and standards.
- Excellent listening, oral and written communication, planning and organizational skills.
- Must be physically fit and able to work safely at a construction/operating site.
- Experience with Microsoft office programs, VISIO, and other common computer programs.
- A recognized bachelor's degree in an engineering or a related scientific discipline, from an accredited college or university with at least 3 years of relevant work experience in relevant types of engineering such as systems startup and field engineering or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants or other engineering/construction firms.
- In lieu of a degree, minimum of 9 years of relevant work experience in relevant types of engineering work (eg systems startup, field engineering, plant operations).
- Candidate must be able to acquire and maintain a security clearance required for this position according to Army Regulation 50-6 (Chemical Surety).