Direct Support Professional
Posted on Oct 21, 2020 by Tahgis Imports Inc
DSP JOB DESCRIPTION
Tahgis Imports Inc. is currently seeking Direct Support Professionals. Our employees are expected to adhere to and understand the agency provider's mission, vision, and company culture.
RATES are based on experience: DSP's are generally paid between $9.00-$11.00 per hour.
Direct Support Professional
Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) provide personal care, social support and physical assistance to individuals with disabilities in a wide range of activities of daily living. DSPs also help individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) learn independent living skills such as cooking and shopping, and make it possible for people with I/DD to participate in employment and social activities. DSPs work in a wide variety of service settings including individual and family homes, group homes, supported apartments, schools, workplaces, recreational and fitness programs, and residential institutions like developmental centers and nursing homes. These dedicated professionals facilitate connections to people, resources, and experiences that foster a full life in the community.
The Direct Support Professional is responsible for providing direct support to the individuals served, including, but not limited to: assisting in maintaining a clean, safe living environment, meal preparation, completion of various household tasks, and personal care assistance. This person will also be supervising, teaching, and assisting the individuals served in every aspect of his/her life, with the goals of fostering increased independence, choice and empowerment while assuring that the health and safety needs are met at all times.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow the Individual Support Plan to assist the individual in achieving his/her goals.
- Support individuals in their daily life activities i.e.: cooking, cleaning, dressing, bathing based on their level of need.
- Observe individuals and report any significant changes in behavior to Residential Coordinator and Residential Manager.
- Transport and accompany individuals to medical appointments and appropriately deal with emergency situations.
- Administer medication according to delegated nursing requirements and ensure there is a sufficient amount of medical supplies and equipment When you hold a Medication Administration Certificate.
- Ensures that medication is stored properly when you hold a Medication Administration Certificate.
- Provides additional support as required in the areas of money management and personal income, housing, health and safety, transportation and community activities.
- Understand company policies and procedures and is familiar with individual's rights and ensures that they are protected.
- Report any unusual incidents and follow proper procedure as outlined and discussed in new hire orientation.
- Complete necessary program documentation in a clear, concise and timely fashion as outlined during the Individual Service Plan and/or Behavioral Strategies Plan. Waiver Documents, HPC transportation logs, goal logs, journal entries, refusal of service forms, and any other shift and/or case related documents are expected to be completed daily (prior to the end of shift).
- Act as a role model for individuals served.
- Obtains and maintains required certifications.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Attend Mandatory 2 Hour Minimum Per Month CEU In-Service Meetings
- COVID19 Precaution Training
- Knowledgeable about formal and informal community supports and demonstrates skill in obtaining these supports for the individuals.
- Demonstrates ability to work as a team and able to contribute by sharing concerns and problem solve and recommend or implement change.
- High degree of compassion, empathy and patience.
- Minimum High School Diploma or GED (college transcripts can be accepted)
- Direct Care Experience is Preferred
- Valid Ohio Driver's License.
- Personal Vehicle and Proof of Liability Insurance is a Requirement.
- Must have a BCI and/or FBI Background Check
- 2 Year CPR/First Aide Training
- Medication Administration Certification (Preferred)
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.