Mechanical Automation Engineer
Posted on Sep 18, 2020 by Hubbell Incorporated
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
Hubbell Construction & Energy (HCE) focuses on products to support four business segments: Connectors, Grounding & Tooling, Gas Connectors & Accessories, Harsh & Hazardous, and Distribution. With markets in renewable energy, lighting, transportation, data center, telecom, utility, extreme environment, gas and water distribution, power generation and oil & gas, we guarantee that our products set the standards for industry solutions. Our success not only depends on our value proposition, but on the strength, knowledge and expertise of our employees
The Automation Solutions department creates cutting edge, custom automation equipment for deployment in Group factories. The Mechanical Automation Engineer is primarily responsible for engineering and designing the mechanical aspects of assigned custom automation equipment. Other responsibilities include project management, team collaboration, organization, service calls, overseeing the building process, troubleshooting, debugging, re-designing as needed, and other related tasks
Duties and Responsibilities:
- With guidance from senior engineers, conceive concept ideas that will meet customer project specifications and needs. These concepts should ideally be: feasible, functional, simple, inexpensive, robust, safe, easy to operate and easy to maintain.
- Engineer custom automation equipment to those concepts ideas using SolidWorks.
- Design and detail the drawings for the engineered solutions.
- Organize project files and documents.
- Research and select vendor purchased components for projects.
- Project manage sub-components of the design, build, debug, burn-in, install and training.
- Other responsibilities as required by supervisor.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent technical degree
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Proficient with SolidWorks
- Demonstrated experience with drafting/tolerancing practices
- Experience with machining, welding and sheet metal fabricating.
- Familiar with automation components; motors, servos, PLCs, HMIs, sensors, cams, hydraulics, pneumatics and other devices.
- Must be willing to spend 2-3 days per month (in the same week) at the Belmont, NH Automation facility for touch base meetings/project updates.
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.