First Line Security Event Analyst
Posted on Sep 12, 2020 by Next Ventures Ltd
As a First Line Security Event Analyst (FLSEA), the incumbent will perform an initial analysis of logs and network traffic, determine alert severity and escalate when required. The analyst will collate information and present findings in a clear, structured format, providing remediation recommendations, and first-line response where applicable.
- Conduct research and assessments of security events within Cyber Security Centre team
- Provide analysis of firewall, IDS, anti-virus and other network sensor produced events and present findings
- Appropriately leverage the comprehensive extended toolset (e.g. Log Collection, Intrusion Detection, Packet Capture, VA, Network Devices etc.)
for enhancing investigations
- Support the end-to-end Incident Handling process
- Propose optimizations and enhancements which help to both maintain and improve Cyber Security posture.
Requirements Description / Skills knowledge experience
A university degree in a technical subject with a focus on Information Technology (IT), obtained from a nationally recognized/certified institution in addition to a minimum of 1 year experience in the field of cyber security analysis.
The lack of a degree may be compensated by at least 3 years of relevant experience in field of cyber security analysis. Similarly, candidate's lacking experience can compensate by demonstrating a high level of knowledge in the field of cybersecurity.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles of computer and communications security including knowledge of TCP/IP networking, Windows and Linux operating systems
- Broad understanding of common network security threats and mitigation techniques
- Experience in the following:- Security Information and Event Management products (SIEM) - e.g. ArcSight, Splunk
- Analysis of Network Based Intrusion Detection Systems (NIDS) events- e.g. SourceFire,Palo Alto Network Threat Prevention
- Log analysis from a variety of sources (e.g. Firewalls, Proxies, Routers, DNS and other security appliances)- Network traffic capture analysis using Wireshark- Logical approach to analysis and ability to perform structured security investigations using large, complex data sets
- Good written and spoken communication skills- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Holding industry leading certification in the area of cybersecurity such as GCIA, GNFA,GCIH
- Computer Incident Response Centre (CIRT), Computer Emergency Response Team(CERT)
- Proficiency in Intrusion/Incident Detection and Handling
- Experience in the following areas:
Full Packet Capture systems, e.g. Niksun, RSA/NetWitness
Host Based Intrusion Detection Systems (HIDS)
Computer security tools (Vulnerability Assessment, Anti-virus, Protocol Analysis, Anti-Virus, Protocol Analysis, Anti-Spyware, etc.)
Computer forensics tools (stand alone, online and network)
Military communication systems and network