TECHNICAL DIRECTOR (Laboratory, non-medical)
Posted on Sep 11, 2020 by Humanics, LLC
Kalcor Coatings Company is seeking a TECHNICAL DIRECTOR for its location in Willoughby, OH. Started in 1961, Kalcor Coatings Company is A Right Size Company designing and manufacturing customized coatings and paint products to meet our customers' specific needs.
Our primary goal is to be a successful developer/producer/marketer of high-performance coatings with a deserved reputation for integrity, responsibility, and competence in its treatment of employees, customers, suppliers, community and the public at large.
Reporting to the President, the Technical Director manages all research, product development and quality control staff and activities to meet customer and production needs. Furthermore, the Technical Director:
- Manages activities of laboratory staff engaged in performing research and development on new products and maintenance or needed revisions of current products. Responsibilities include development of new products/formulations; reformulation of existing products; evaluation and approval of both new and alternative raw materials; project/product development through manufacturing scale-up; and evaluation of competitive products.
- Manages quality control staff in testing, adjusting, and color-matching of manufactured products. Also institutes new and/or modified test procedures including any required equipment; and directs testing and all other associated work regarding evaluation and timely resolution of product related matters.
- Reviews project requirements to ascertain test specifications, procedures, objectives, test equipment, nature of technical challenges, and possible solutions such as product development or redesign, substitution of material or formulations, or internal processing changes.
- Stays current with relevant industry-specific technologies, raw materials, equipment, and regulations.
- Directs the specification, appropriation, maintenance, calibration, training and proper use of equipment involved in the testing and evaluation of raw materials and products in accordance with ISO 9001 and other relevant guidelines.
- Recommends lab expenditures to management.
- Collaborates with Sales, Production, and Management in the development and introduction of new products, the improvement of existing ones, and to investigate and troubleshoot concerns with current products. Collaborates with Purchasing in the assessment of raw materials.
- Interfaces with customers and vendors through meetings, webinars, trade shows, etc.
- Manages direct staff to include hiring, training, evaluating, developing, and resolving issues. Ensures that employees work safely and produce the highest quality products for our customers.
- Interacts collaboratively with all company staff to coordinate activities within and between departments.
- Develops and maintains Technical Data Sheets (TDSes) for all applicable products.
- Serves as a member of the management team. May coordinate technical and environmental training.
- Bachelor's degree in a science discipline (Chemistry or Chemical Engineering preferred).
- 10 years experience formulating paints, coatings or similar products with a strong understanding of color theory plus 5 years experience managing projects and staff. Will consider a combination of education and experience.
- Ability to learn and effectively utilize corporate ERP (BatchMaster) software system as it relates to raw material, product (development, formulation and analysis), and quality control functions. Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Teams); experience with Salesforce a plus.
- Exceptional interpersonal and leadership skills
- Strong problem solving and root cause analysis abilities
- Demonstrated ability in planning, resource allocation, and evaluation of methods. Efficient and cost-effective use of resources.
- Excellent organization and scheduling skills with the ability to remain flexible and adapt to changing demands. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively present information to a variety of people (ie customers, public groups, and management).
- Willingness and ability to travel to customer locations as needed. Valid driver's license and ability to be insured through the company's insurer.
- Candidates must be able to pass a color test, occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds, wear a fitted respirator and dust mask, and tolerate solvent odors and other chemicals used within the facility.
- Kalcor is a smoke-free, tobacco-free and vaping-free facility.
If you are seeking a work environment that expects high quality work, professional conduct and respectful consideration for customers and coworkers alike, and you possess the skills and competencies for the Technical Director position, we want to hear from you!
Equal Opportunity Employer